Full-Time Lighting and AV Technician
This is a state government job with the North Carolina Museum of Art, a division of the N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
The Lighting and AV Technician is responsible for installing and maintaining the lighting system for the North Carolina Museum of Art including two public/gallery buildings and up to 24 temporary exhibit installations on an annual basis. In addition to lighting, this position installs and maintains all audio/visual components within art installations and gallery spaces.
- Installing and maintaining lighting fixtures, checking all light levels to ensure they meet art safety standards, and ensuring museum meets all OSHA/Building electrical codes.
- Installing, configuring, and maintaining electronic, electrical, and mechanical devices in galleries, such as projectors, media players, and other AV components for both temporary exhibitions and permanent collection installations; communicating with security staff on how to operate the tech once installed.
- Maintaining the inventory of all lighting, mechanical, and electronic materials and reordering as needed.
- Participating in the installation of all design projects, assisting with complicated graphics, casework, and art installations, as needed.
- Maintaining the complex computer/automated lighting and window shade system for the galleries.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in lighting design, lamp types, video monitors and/or screens, projectors, sound systems, microphones, LED lighting, and electrical work.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the effects of light intensities on works of art and/or experience in artistically lighting 2D and 3D objects, galleries, installations, etc.
- Demonstrated the ability to use production shop equipment such as power tools.
- Demonstrated basic electrical knowledge related to line voltage and/or low voltage circuits.
- Demonstrated the ability to specify low-voltage LED lighting including power supplies, panels, and/or strip lights.
- Demonstrated the ability to create wiring harnesses for different lighting systems.
- Demonstrated the ability to plan and work within budgets.
- Prefer applicants with aptitude to learn basic Windows OS and iOS configurations for occasional advanced AV features and iPad installations.
- Demonstrated the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Demonstrated superior organizational skills.
- Demonstrated excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Prefer at least a bachelor’s degree plus three years or more of preparation, A/V and lighting installation, or exhibition design experience.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
High school or General Educational Development (GED) diploma and one year of experience in museum related work in area of assignment or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
How To Apply:
Applicants must apply through the N.C. Office of State Human Resources website found at this link by the closing date of 4/20/2021 at 5pm:
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: lighting and museum. States: North Carolina.
Please Share the Lighting and AV Technician job: