Full-Time Lead Teaching Artist
Syracuse Stage is partnering with the Syracuse City School District to provide full-time Teaching Artists in schools to supplement the K-8 curriculum with Arts Programming.
The Lead Teaching Artist will work to manage a team of ten teaching artists and one teaching artist assistant.
The Syracuse Stage Teaching Artist team holds the primary responsibility for the implementation and development of Syracuse Stage’s curriculum in the Syracuse City School District and the success of its students.
Syracuse Stage seeks a Lead Teaching Artist with excellent interpersonal skills, impeccable attention to detail, and the vision to see the path through complicated and nuanced situations.
The Lead Teaching artist, in collaboration with Syracuse Stage Education staff, will be responsible for creating unit outlines for teaching artist teams for K-8 students.
The Lead Teaching artist must be enthusiastic about working with children and young teens.
Must demonstrate a commitment to continuously improving curriculum and instruction through designing tools to provide arts enrichment.
Lead Teaching Artist will work towards the long-term success of the program, looking forward to anticipate program needs and the best path forward.
The lead teaching artist will be managing teaching artists from the following disciplines:
● Improvisation (Devising, movement, comedy)
● Acting (scene study, performance)
● Dance (Modern, hip-hop, Jazz)
● Playwriting (page to stage)
● Design (Set, Costume, Props, Lighting, Sound)
● Create Unit Plans, in collaboration with teaching artist teams, school district, and Syracuse Stage Education department.
● Act as lead for teaching artist staff, ensuring communication between Syracuse City School District and Syracuse Stage staff.
● Design and implement assessments that measure progress.
● Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices.
● Ability to work independently, facilitate group dynamics, exercise good judgment, and show initiative.
● Facilitate quarterly whole school events to bring the community together to see the work of the students.
● Lead a weekly staff orientation and training.
● Proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom;
● Mastery of and enthusiasm for artistic subjects;
● Evidence of self-motivation and ability to collaborate and lead
● Bachelor’s degree is required
● Minimum of three years teaching experience in an urban public school
● Valid State Certification is helpful but not required.
Syracuse Stage offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience. Lead Teaching Artist is equipped with a Syracuse University email and necessary supplies for their classes.
Position is dependent on grant-funding which we hope to know more by mid-July.
Syracuse Stage is committed to providing students with rich theatre experiences that connect to and reveal what it is to be human.
Research shows that students who participate in or are exposed to the arts show higher academic achievement, stronger self-esteem, and better ability to plan and work toward a future goal. Live performance provides children and young adults with a unique sensory experience that enriches classroom study and promotes creative expression and cultural awareness. Each season, Syracuse Stage engages nearly 21,440 students from all across New York State with a
variety of programs.
Syracuse Stage believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables students and staff to thrive.
We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students.
At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, references, and a sample extended lesson plan to email@example.com.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: artist, arts education, dance, design, stage, teaching, and theatre. States: New York.
Please Share the Lead Teaching Artist job: