Lead Handler, Art Services
Position: Lead Art Handler, Art Services
Status: Full-time | Non-Exempt | Hourly
Compensation Group: Experienced
Reports to: Head Art Handler / Director of Field Services
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:30pm (with some flexibility)
The Minnesota Street Project (Project), the Minnesota Street Project Foundation (Foundation), and Minnesota Street Project Art Services (Art Services) value a community where everyone can participate in arts and culture and strives to cultivate equity in all of its programs. We value a diverse workforce built upon inclusion, equity, and cultural humility and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We believe that the arts have the power to change hearts and minds, and to inspire social change. We also believe that arts and culture are key elements in creating desirable places to live, learn, work, and visit.
About Minnesota Street Project:
Located in San Francisco’s historic Dogpatch district, the Project is a for-profit enterprise that supports contemporary arts in the Bay Area by providing sustainably below-market rents to artists, art galleries, and arts non-profits and by providing spaces for visiting exhibitions and arts-related programming.
About Minnesota Street Project Foundation:
An affiliate of the Project, the Foundation was created to advance educational and civic programming and provide direct financial support to artists and arts organizations.
About Art Services:
Art Services, founded & headquartered in San Francisco since 2016, is the Bay Area’s fastest growing and most innovative provider of highest quality art storage, installation, packing, crating, transportation, and solutions. Our clients include private collectors, galleries, and institutions who value our emphasis on customer relationships, collection care, and creative problem solving.
100% of our profits are used to support the artists, galleries, and institutions that comprise the Project as well as other arts non-profits and projects in the Bay Area.
Minnesota Street Project Art Services is seeking a full-time Lead Art Handler, with at least 3 years’ experience in a leadership position at a museum, gallery, or art shipping organization. The Lead Art Handler will exhibit a friendly and approachable demeanor with all Minnesota Street Project clients, staff, and vendors, acting as a positive ambassador for the Art Services department, as well as the overall Project. This person must value teamwork, collaboration, and community. This person will demonstrate an understanding of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Access in the arts and in our daily lives and has cultural flexibility/agility and a commitment to fostering a respectful and inclusive work environment.
- Enthusiastically and diplomatically lead art handlers in the field
- Handle, pack, and install artwork at private offices, galleries and residences, as well as in our viewing rooms and galleries; professionally secure and transport artwork, all in accordance with museum standards.
- Assist the registration department with labeling artworks and preforming condition reports; store and track artwork in our warehouse, as well as our vehicles, in accordance with museum standards.
- Anticipate bookings/projects and take all necessary steps to streamline the incoming and outgoing processes.
- Ensure strong communication is facilitated throughout the team and that deadlines are continually met.
- Availability for occasional long-haul/out of town projects; is part of a rotation of handlers that embark on a monthly Los Angles shuttle
- Attend weekly department meetings, as well as occasional programming events at 1275 Minnesota Street.
- Keep vehicles and warehouse consistently clean and useable, bringing a proactive approach.
- Inventory supplies and administer reuse/recycling policies.
- Assist the crate shop and warehouse as needed.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Available to work 5 consecutive days of the week, between the hours of 8am and 6pm, and occasionally beyond
Required Skills, Abilities, and Experience:
- Art transportation and shipping knowledge; valid CA license and ability to drive a 16 – 26’ box truck.
- Professional commitment and adaptability; willingness to safely shift directions for the need of the artwork or client, in a moment’s notice.
- Experience, if not expertise, operating material moving equipment (VRCs, forklifts, scissor lifts, material lifts, gantries, and pallet jacks).
- Outstanding time management; ability to quickly identify and safely resolve problems, ensuring projects stay on schedule, whilst keeping the client and team in communication.
- Demonstrate concern for detail, accuracy, and precise execution of work, while managing time and efficiency of individual and team performance.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and written.
- Work well independently and as a team; gracefully shift between warehouse, client, and office settings, whilst communicating along the way.
- Ability to safely lift 50+ lbs individually and 75+lbs as a team.
- Proficient with iPad and PC Tablets. Comfortable using computer databases.
Please email resume with the subject line LEAD_Art_Handler_LAST NAME to firstname.lastname@example.org
No calls, please.
Thank you for your interest in Minnesota Street Project.
Minnesota Street Project offers a competitive benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, AD&D, Paid Time Off and Parental Leave, Retirement Savings, 401-k Plan, and Pre-Taxed Commuter and Childcare Benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Minnesota Street Project provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: art handler, arts, and logistics. States: California.
Please Share the Lead Handler, Art Services job: