Junior Draper / Tailor -10 Month Contract
• Job Title: Jr Draper/Tailor
• Department: Costume Shop
• Reports to: Costume Shop Supervisor
• Classification: Seasonal 10 month
• Date: May 2021
To work with the Houston Grand Opera Costume Shop Department to create patterns according to all costume production needs and
assist with all facets of the costume construction process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Work closely with the Costume Shop Supervisor, Head of Costumes and Designers to create patterns accurately for all
– Work closely with the Costume Shop Supervisor to assist with all aspects that are involved with building and prepping
alterations of costumes;
– Take accurate measurements of all performers;
– Evaluate/ measure rental costumes and determine course of action;
– Work closely with Costume Shop Supervisor to calculate all materials needed for builds/ alterations and for stock; and
– Assist the Costume Shop Supervisor and Head of Costumes on department projects from time to time as needed.
– Assist the Costume Shop Supervisor and Head of Costumes on department projects from time to time as needed and
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
– At least 5 years of professional patterning/draping / tailoring experience in a costume shop or fashion industry.
– A degree in Costume Technology/Production or related field a plus.
– At least 5 years of professional cutting and sewing experience in a costume shop or fashion industry.
– Proven ability to accurately create patterns according to specifications at a moderate pace (from sketch, research or samples).
– Ability to sew and operate industrial sewing machines at a moderate pace.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS
– Ability to stand for long periods of time.
– Ability to lift 30 lbs. to waist level.
– Ability to hang costumes on 6’6′ clothes racks.
– At times schedule may fluctuate depending on fittings/rehearsal schedule and overtime may be required.
– Ability to organize, prioritize and maintain several projects at once and sustain productivity under pressure in a fast-paced
– Ability to interact effectively and professionally with staff, management, vendors and artists.
– Ability to meet deadlines.
– Attention to detail.
To apply for this position, please visit Houston Grand Opera’s job board at
RESUMES ACCEPTED UNTIL FILLED
Houston Grand Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates are considered without regard to race, color, sex,
creed, religion, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job related disability, or marital status.
Job Categories: Other. Job Types: Temporary. Job Tags: costume and opera. States: Texas.
Please Share the Junior Draper / Tailor -10 Month Contract job: