Instructor of Musical Theatre→ Interlochen, Michigan, United States
The Instructor of Musical Theatre works with a team of faculty members to develop and implement exemplary Musical Theatre curriculum. The specific responsibilities for this position are essentially that of a Music Director: teaching music in classes and rehearsals, accompanying rehearsals, providing vocal coaching, and liaising with the conductor of the pit orchestra. This role fosters a supportive and creative learning environment, guiding students through the nuances of musical theatre vocal performance techniques, providing constructive feedback to enhance their skills, and collaborating effectively with colleagues in the Music and Theatre departments. This role will serve as the Music Director for musical theatre productions during the academic year. Beyond the traditional classroom responsibilities, all faculty at IAA assist in providing student mentorship and advising for aspiring artists in a boarding school setting.
The Interlochen 5, key capacities that IAA faculty help reinforce, include mindfulness, wellness and resilience, creative capacity, interdisciplinary perspective and collaboration, global and cultural perspective, and community and citizen artistry. All Academy faculty focus on educating the whole student, working with high school students to develop their artistry and their citizenship.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and deliver effective Musical Theatre pedagogy, emphasizing vocal technique and musicality.
- Provide mentorship to students, addressing their unique learning styles and aspirations.
- Prepare students for performances, auditions, and college admissions, offering guidance on healthy and effective vocal techniques.
- Collaborate with the Director of Musical Theatre, Instructor of Musical Theatre Dance, Instructor of Musical Theatre Voice, and other faculty and colleagues as appropriate, to develop and implement a curriculum that aligns with industry standards and best practices.
- Foster a collaborative and educational environment where students can develop their musical and theatrical talents.
- Stay at the forefront of musical theatre pedagogy and performance, ensuring teaching remains informed by the latest developments in the field.
- Actively contribute to the artistic and educational vision of the institution through participation in meetings and committee work.
- Serve as the Music Director for productions, overseeing the musical aspects of rehearsals and performances.
- Collaborate with the production team to integrate music seamlessly with other elements of the production.
- Lead vocal rehearsals, accompany rehearsals, and provide music direction for two musical theatre productions a year.
- Participate in auditions for productions, providing valuable insights into casting decisions and contributing to the overall success of the performances.
- Contribute to the educational development of the whole student, in alignment with Interlochen’s educational mission and vision.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Experience & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required. MFA in Musical Theatre or appropriate field preferred.
- Proven experience in teaching musical theatre to students of various ages and skill levels.
- Demonstrated excellence in the professional world of musical theatre.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and contribute positively to the overall artistic and educational environment at Interlochen.
- A genuine passion for education and a commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive learning environment
- Strong communication skills, both in one-on-one interactions and in broader community engagement.
Application Materials Required:
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio and/or links to teaching, performing, etc.
Hoe to Apply
Apply online at interlochen.org/careers
Job Categories: Education. Job Types: Contract. Job Tags: arts center, music, musical theater, performing arts, and teaching. States: Michigan.