Head Usher – Part-Time/Seasonal
The 5th Avenue Theatre is seeking Head Ushers to join our team.
About The 5th
The 5th Avenue Theatre is one of America’s leading musical theater companies. We enrich the community we love with the art form we love—giving the Pacific Northwest a front-row seat to original powerhouse productions that go on to light up marquees and audiences all the way to Broadway. From the page to the stage, we bring passion and epic scale to every musical we create. With big talent. Bigger-than-life productions. And did we mention dazzle? As a nonprofit theater company and our region’s largest performing arts employer, we spread the joy of great musicals with people of all ages across our region and state.
Each year, we reach more than 75,000 young people through our nationally acclaimed education programs. Programs designed to develop new musicals ensure that the next generation of great musicals will be there to tell the stories that captivate tomorrow’s audiences. On the national stage, we are a leading voice for the power of this American art form to lift the human spirit.
For more information about The 5th Avenue Theatre, its season and its programs, please visit www.5thavenue.org
The 5th Avenue Theatre and the communities we serve are on the land and waterways of the Coast Salish people who have continuously inhabited our region since time immemorial. They are the original storytellers and theater-makers of this place we call home.
We also acknowledge and honor the Tribal nations across Washington State and the many Indigenous peoples from across the country who also live and work in the Seattle area. As we step into this new period of The 5th’s history, we hope to honor their legacies and bring greater attention to their continuing fight for equity and recognition.
At The 5th Avenue Theatre, we are actively working towards goals as an anti-racist organization, you can learn more about our work and statement here: www.5thavenue.org/about/anti-racism-at-the-5th/
As a member of the Front of House Staff, the Head Usher is there to ensure the safety and enjoyment of each patron during their visit to the Theater. You will be a key representative of the Theater for our patrons, so your enthusiasm, positive attitude, sense of humor, excellent customer service, leadership and your SMILE will all make a good impression and help to ensure that our guest’s experiences are positive.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• To represent The 5th Avenue to Audiences with radical hospitality and experience to ensure a welcoming & inclusive theatre environment
• Provide excellent customer service while assisting guests with seating, questions, ticketing issues, directions, problem solving and enforce all theater policies.
• Provide assistance to our guests with special needs. I.e. wheelchair assistance, mobility issues, Deaf and Hard of Hearing guests.
• Lead by example with our Covid Compliance measures to keep our guest safe while advocating and enforcing those measures amongst those visiting the theater.
• Perform all duties in this high pace environment while maintaining a friendly, professional and calm manner.
• Act as additional eyes and ears for the Front of House Managers, report any and all issues and concerns.
• Oversee and mentor our volunteer ushers in job postings and tasks. Assure they are successful at performing their duties.
• Help assure volunteer ushers successfully perform their duties and responsibilities including many of those included in this job description.
• Monitor physical surroundings prior to and throughout events for safety, cleanliness and functionality.
• Assist with spot cleaning or clean-ups as needed during and after the performances.
• Head Ushers along with the Volunteer ushers are the Stewards of Safety in the event of any emergency response. I.e. Evacuation, earthquake, active shooter, you will help to assist guests during these emergencies. Training will be required to the procedures of how to act in each situation.
• Maintain excellent attendance and punctuality. This is critical because of the set show times.
• Ushers will be required to participate in de-escalation, customer service, evacuation/safety, and anti-racism trainings.
Essential knowledge and Qualifications:
• At least one year of customer service experience.
• Ability to perform physical activities that require use of arms and legs and moving the whole body, such as climbing stairs, lifting boxes of programs, walking, scanning tickets, stooping, and handling of materials.
• Ability to lift 40 lbs repetitively.
• Ability to stand for long periods of time, up to the duration of a shift.
• Ability to read event tickets (visual acuity corrected to read as small as 11-font print) in dim lighting.
• Excellent communication and problem solving skills, including ability to maintain composure under stress. Comfortable answering volunteer and customer questions and patience to resolve service issues.
• This position requires employee’s flexibility for Nights, Weekends, Holidays.
Compensation & Benefits:
This position starts at $16-$18/hour.
Part Time employees may be eligible for some benefits, depending on regular schedule and hours worked.
Employees also receive two comp tickets to most shows on opening night
Position Reports to: Cassie Hohn, Front of House Manager
Position Classification: Part Time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
Application information & Timeline:
Applications from those who have been traditionally underrepresented in the theatrical industry are strongly encouraged. We are striving for our staff to be inclusive of a diverse and vibrant community that represents multiple identities, perspectives & influences.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume & 2-3 references by 10/10/2021 that explains your qualifications for the position to HumanResources@5thavenue.org.
Please include “Head Usher” in the subject line.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis starting in September until all positions have been filled. It is our goal to have staff in place as soon as possible, with trainings happening October through December. Performances & regular scheduled shifts are currently planned to resume in January 2022.
A background check will be required upon offer of position.
The 5th Avenue Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The 5th Avenue will be requiring Covid-19 Vaccinations for all employees as of October, 4th 2021, with considerations for Medical & Religious exemptions.
The 5th Avenue Theatre, located in the Skinner Building at 1326 5th Avenue, in downtown Seattle.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: customer service, theatre, and usher. States: Washington.
Please Share the Head Usher – Part-Time/Seasonal job: