POSITION: HEAD CARPENTER
The Head Carpenter functions as a ”hands on” department head overseeing all activities on stage for productions regarding carpentry, rigging, and changes as they arise, and works in conjunction with the Director of Production, Technical Director, and traveling production personnel.
He/she is experienced in and responsible for all fly gallery operations, rigging requirements, set assembly and placement, including risers and furniture, orchestra shell, vinyl dance floor (Marley) and other floor coverings, quick-change booths, orchestra pit setup, masking, soft goods deployment and storage. Installs and maintains large scale scenic and property items with motorized and or automated elements for resident companies, rentals, and tours.
The Head Carpenter supervises all carpenters, on stage and in any shop. Provides leadership and training to department staff, and interns.
All Department Heads will perform necessary duties for the proper completion of performances.
A Department Head may perform tasks in other areas without regard to departmental distinction; however, it is understood that these tasks shall not interfere with the safe and professional execution of their primary responsibilities to the Employer as a head of department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Uphold safe practices and maintain a safe working environment.
- Supervise crews; act as lead run crew.
- Manage the maintenance and repair of production equipment.
- Provide input on equipment purchases, rentals, repairs, and upgrades.
- Maintain production equipment and inventory in a manner that is conducive to efficient operation.
- Maintain an inventory of department spare parts, tools, and supplies.
- Maintain relationships with local production rental shops and resources.
- Perform show duties, as needed to support a performance.
- Stay abreast of best practices and new technology in your field.
- Maintain Peace Center standards of excellence.
- Execute duties and projects, as assigned.
- Assist local/resident companies with production related needs at The Peace Center.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a Theatre Carpenter.
- Experience working with touring Broadway productions.
- Knowledge of OSHA Regulations.
- ETCP Rigging – Arena / Theatre Certification, or demonstrable knowledge of arena & theatre Rigging.
- Experience with rigging, troubleshooting and repair.
- In depth knowledge of stage carpentry, and carpentry tools & materials.
- Experience with welding steel and/or aluminum.
- Proficiency in operating the rigging system and communications for cue calls.
- Experience coaching and developing stagehands in your field.
- Understanding of generally acceptable theater practices.
- Ability to operate a forklift; certification a plus.
- Working knowledge of MS Office: Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to lead others with confidence and integrity.
- Able to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends.
- Critical thinking and good judgement
- Work well under pressure both independently and as a team.
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents and drawings.
- Ability to lift and maneuver 50 lbs. repeatedly, alone or with assistance
- Ability to crouch, twist, bend, stoop, climb stairs and ladders, stand and sit for extended periods of time, reach above, below and at neck level, work at heights above the floor.
Please submit resume and cover letter to:
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: carpentry, stage, and theatre. States: South Carolina.
Please Share the Head Carpenter job: