Graphic Design Lead
• Reports to: Marketing and Growth Director
• Direct Reports: None
• Indirect Reports: None
• Status: Regular Full-time, Exempt
$36,000 – $43,000 per year, Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays/Days of Celebration, Matched Retirement Plan, Disability and Life insurance, Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
The Graphic Design Lead is the primary graphic designer for Stages and builds, implements, and maintains all aspects of Stages’ visual and brand identity. You’ll serve as the creative mind behind the graphics, animations, and print pieces that excite the imaginations of our audiences. You’ll lead the creation of critical digital and print assets in-house, and collaborate closely with creative and ad agencies, printing presses, photographers, animators, and videographers to create stunning visual pieces that shape how our communities experience our storytelling.
Stages tells compelling stories in an intimate setting where audiences can connect with both the art on stage and the people who create it. We produce a broad scope of plays and musicals ranging from jukebox musicals and family entertainment to world premieres and new work by emerging writers. Stages was founded in 1978 and we’ve grown to become Houston’s sixth largest nonprofit performing arts producer and the largest outside the downtown theater district. We perform year-round with an average of 12 productions and 75,000+ visitors each season. We’ve opened our new home, The Gordy, made possible by a fully-funded $35 million capital campaign.
We’re a welcoming, collaborative culture that encourages each staff member to take initiative, share ideas, and help shape the organization. Working at Stages hits the sweet spot between struggling startup and corporate behemoth.
You have a creative flair and a strong ability to translate requirements into design. You are often the most detail-oriented person in the room, and you’re an incredible proofreader: nothing gets past you! We’re looking for someone who can take direction from written or spoken ideas and convert them seamlessly into images, layouts, and other designs while maintaining our brand standards. You are driven to meet deadlines and love to think outside the box. You are quick on your feet, flourish under pressure, and can juggle multiple design requests simultaneously. You thrive as the hub of a busy team, knowing that your work helps create unforgettable arts experiences for others.
What you’ll do at Stages
- Be Stages’ brand guardian. You will ensure our visual and brand identity are upheld in every external and internal communication
- Serve as an in-house creative consultant for multiple departments; You’ll strategize and execute design approaches for all areas of the company including Marketing, Development, Communications, Special Events, and Education
- In close collaboration with the Content Strategist, you’ll oversee the design and execution of each show’s playbill from conception to print
- Create print and digital assets, including (but not limited to) print and digital ads, website graphics, email templates, direct mail, invitations, working closely with external agencies as needed
- Track, code, and report all design expenditures in close collaboration with the Marketing Manager
- Ensure that all graphics are created to specifications and formatted properly for cross-platform use
- Work closely with the Marketing Manager and Content Strategist on the production schedule to make sure all materials are scheduled and internally proofed and approved
- Maintain relationships with printers and other media in the production of materials, including negotiating prices and selecting vendors to execute jobs
- Support the Content Strategist in executing photo and video shoots, both show specific and for season campaigns
- Edit and create short videos for blogs, social media and email, as needed
- In coordination with the Operations team, maintain all signage–digital and print–at Stages
- Other duties, as assigned
To excel in this job, you’ll need
- Excellent design software skills especially in InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Demonstrated capacity for successfully balancing tasks and priorities and meeting deadlines
- Positive, customer-focused and collaborative approach to work
- Impeccable eye for quality, aesthetics, and details
- Ability to complete jobs by or before deadlines
- Excellent time management, organizational skills and attention to detail
- Dynamic, proactive team player and to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong portfolio of illustrations or other graphics
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for Stages’ work and the desire to play a vital role during a transformational period of growth
- Proven graphic design skills with 3-5 years of experience
- Evening and weekend work, as needed
It’s also great to have
- Willingness to tackle projects outside your area of expertise
- Familiarity with (and a passion for) plays and musicals
- Experience with website design or maintenance, or other publishing tools
- Degree in graphic design or related area
This is important
Stages is committed to advancing equity, diversity and inclusion. We are committed to creating and maintaining a safe creative environment for staff, artists and our community. We know that through discussion and expression we can continue to promote change in a positive direction. We believe that diversity on and off stage is important. We are committed to bridging cultural gaps and creating an environment of inclusion and equity for all. It is our intent to provide equal opportunities to all who may apply. We welcome every race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic makeup, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status and thinking style.
Our hiring process
First, send us some information about yourself—please include an introduction to help us understand who you are and why you’re right for this position (eg: cover letter, email, personal statement, video) as well as anything you think might be helpful to understand your background, experience, and skills. This could include a resume, event materials, writing or other work samples, personal website, LinkedIn profile, etc.
Human Resources Generalist
800 Rosine Street
Houston, Texas 77019
If we think you might be a good fit, we’ll contact you to schedule an introductory interview with our team. This conversation will help us learn about you, share more about the job and Stages, and answer your initial questions. From there, we may also invite you to talk with other staff members from positions across the organization so that you have an opportunity to explore Stages’ culture and work environment, and we can get a sense of what you’ll bring to the team.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: entertainment, graphic design, graphic designer, marketing, and performing arts. States: Texas.
Please Share the Graphic Design Lead job: