Temporary Glass Studio Technician
Position Title: Glass Studio Technician
Reports to: Academic Director
Location: Saugatuck, Michigan
Position Status: Seasonal, Full Time, Exempt
The Glass Studio Technician at Ox-Bow, School of Art and Artists’ residency oversees the technical and operational aspects of Ox-Bow’s open-air glass studio, including day-to-day studio operations, and materials management for glass and sculpture classes and studio members. The studio technician will ensure a quality, supportive learning environment for a range of skill levels and cultivate a community of learners. The studio technician is expected to build and maintain effective relationships with students, studio members and faculty to gain their respect and trust; utilize strong communication skills; and, be an enthusiastic ambassador of and ensure positive perception of Ox-Bow. This is a residential position and the technician will work directly with the Academic, Campus, and Program Directors to ensure an organized, cohesive working environment.
Late April through late-August
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Physical Studio and Supply Management ˗ General oversight of glass studio ˗ Open and close studio at the beginning and end of the academic season ˗ Set up equipment and studio prior to new student orientation (Sunday) for each class ˗ Repair and maintain tools and equipment as needed (including electrical, gas pipe and controller repairs) ˗ Observe proper studio protocol ˗ Maintain appropriate quantity of glass, equipment and tools for each course ˗ Oversight of all glass furnace and annealing oven operations, including electric and propane fired equipment ˗ Charges the glass furnace in the evening, offs the glory holes, brings down the annealers each evening ˗ Pops the lids on the cooling annealing ovens, brings up the ovens for the day, sweeps the floor, and lights the glory holes each morning ˗ Create any safety or information signage and install in studio ˗ Maintain a safe, clean, and organized studio
● Faculty / Student Assistance ˗ Prior to each class, communicate with instructors about individual class needs. ˗ Orient faculty and teaching assistants on use of equipment, studio policies and procedures. ˗ Be available to instructors for class needs. ˗ Post glass technician hours in studio.
● Administrative ˗ Manage glass studio budget. ˗ Maintain written physical inventory of all supplies and equipment. ˗ Maintain written documentation of studio processes and procedures. ˗ Write end-of-season report assessing functionality of studio, studio budget, procedures, class success, and any recommendations for next season.
EDUCATION / JOB
● BFA in glass or the equivalent with at least two years technician experience in a glass studio.
● Preferred qualifications include foundational glass skills using hot and kiln casting, cold shop, and glass blowing.
● The studio is outdoors and exposed to the elements,
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
● Ability to work with a wide-range of skill levels, personalities, and backgrounds and modify technical and operational strategies to optimize learning experience.
● Must have excellent people skills; possess excellent communication skills – written and verbal.
● Strong organizational skills with regard to studio inventories, Materials Safety Data Sheets and general studio safety.
● Ability to repair studio equipment; including electrical, gas pipe and controller repairs.
● Must be a team player able to work independently as well as in a group.
● Must be innovative, resourceful, patient, and a strong sense of integrity.
● Must be able to stand, bend, and routinely lift studio materials and equipment weighing up to 75 lbs.
● Must be able to travel to and from Ox-Bow Saugatuck campus and/or various vendor locations in the West Michigan region.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Ox-Bow School of Art and Artists’ Residency is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for its students, visitors, faculty, and staff, and to ensuring that educational and employment decisions are based on an individual’s abilities and qualifications. Ox-Bow does not tolerate unlawful discrimination based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or former military status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law, in its programs and activities, public accommodations or employment practices.
How to Apply:
Apply at: http://www.ox-bow.org/opportunitiesJob Categories: Education. Job Types: Temporary. Job Tags: arts. States: Michigan.
Please Share the Glass Studio Technician job: