STRIKE ANYWHERE PERFORMANCE ENSEMBLE
Established in 1997, the Strike Anywhere Performance Ensemble is an interdisciplinary collective of world-class improvising jazz musicians, dancers and actors in NYC.The Ensemble works at the crossroads of activism, arts and social justice, creating provocative performances and innovative education programs that promote empathy, creativity and civic discourse. SA’s community and educational programs employ an egalitarian and inclusive methodology; participants are put into the role of a devising artist and are offered an array of ways to contribute to collective explorations and the creation of work. We define ensemble as a group committed to collaborating consistently over years to develop a distinctive body of work and practices.
Strike Anywhere is the preeminent performance group in the United States practicing Soundpainting. Soundpainting is the universal sign-language for live-composition with improvising actors, musicians, dancers and visual artists. The technique allows disparate groups to come together through guided improvisation. Strike Anywhere’s vision aligns with its core mission: to create a kind, just and compassionate society. Strike Anywhere has performed and taught in over 200 venues in 16 states and 8 countries using theater, improvisation and soundpainting to amplify underheard voices, connect communities, and promote joy. For more information on our programs, visit: www.strikeanywhere.info
GENERAL MANAGER POSITION OVERVIEW
Strike Anywhere is seeking a full-time General Manager to oversee all aspects of the Ensemble’s operations. This key member of the leadership team will bring organizational skills to help steward the Ensemble’s mission and support the next stage of growth.
This critical role will ensure that everyone in the Ensemble is engaged and performing at their best by instituting new streamlined, efficient operations and systems. Working closely with the Producing Artistic Director, the board, the Director of Education, and ensemble, the General Manager will work to deepen SA’s organizational capacity to attract resources and funding, continue to make its work more visible to the broader community, and ensure its ongoing relevance and sustainability.
Successful candidates will have at least 5+ years of non-profit arts management experience, with specific preference given for theatre experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Oversee and streamline organizational and operational systems of Strike Anywhere to assure financial health and compliance with federal and state regulations, including:
- Oversee financial and marketing plans for continued organizational growth.
- Work closely with the Artistic Director (AD) and Director of Education (DE) to manage schedules and budgets that reflect staff time and financial capacity, and present for Board approval.
- Develop and monitor budgets, handle bookkeeping and/or hire and oversee bookkeeper.
- Run payroll, process invoices, generate work orders, issue 1099’s, secure payments.
- Maintain agency insurance, including liability, DBL, and Workman’s Comp. Provide documentation for any insurance audits.
- Oversee personnel policies and HR compliance regulations.
- Ensure that SA provides a welcoming, inclusive environment for staff, interns, volunteers and patrons.
– Collaborate with the Artistic Director and Director of Education to develop and maintain relationships with diverse stakeholders including government, corporations, and donors.
- Assist on grant proposals, reports and appeals.
- Assist with the effective implementation of fundraising events.
- Update and manage donor engagement software system.
CONTRACTS AND BOOKING
Manage logistical and contract elements of program booking and residencies, including payment, and communication with venues in concert with the AD and DE.
- Align SA resources and capacity with the organization’s vision and mission in order to maximize productivity and maintain program quality while ensuring the financial health of the organization.
- Work with DE to create systems to process school work and purchase orders, write contracts, follow up on payments, and maintain SA’s NYC Department of Education Vendor’s License.
- Collaborate with AD and DE on sustaining and encouraging new partnerships and audiences.
PLANNING AND COMMUNICATION
Work with SA’s Board, AD, DE and the Ensemble to hone the strategic plan with the goal of ensuring organizational health, sustainability and programmatic impact.
- Help diversify and expand SA’s Board of Directors.
- Develop systems that ensure ongoing communication with AD, the Board, DE, staff, patrons and donors.
- Attend conferences and represent Strike Anywhere at networking events.
- Maintain knowledge of best practices in the field.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL BE:
- Passionate about the arts and their ability to affect positive social change.
- Organized with demonstrated experience for creating efficient management systems.
- Collaborative, creative and highly dependable .
- An outstanding communicator with the ability to ignite passion in a diverse team of stakeholders.
- Skilled at managing multiple and highly complex projects with diverse partners.
- Adept at developing and implementing financial targets and budgets.
- Experienced in conceptualizing, managing and evaluating strategic initiatives.
- Able to work independently and to effectively manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Effective at building and maintaining relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- At least 5+ years of non-profit arts management experience, with specific preference given for theatre experience.
- Strong writing and math/financial skills are a must, as is a love of the performing arts.
- Proficiency in QuickBooks, Microsoft Suite; SharePoint and Constant Contact, a plus.
- A sense of humor is highly desirable.
This is a Full-time Exempt position; flexible schedule. Some occasional weekend or evening hours.
This is a NYC-based company. Remote candidates will be considered. Occasional travel may be required for conferences, meetings or events.
The General Manager reports to the Artistic Director and is a 52-week “at will” contract with a salary range $40,000-$50,000, commensurate with experience. 10 Days of Paid Time Off (PTO) and a monthly stipend for remote office expenses. A $300/month healthcare stipend is provided. Sick leave is accrued and paid at the NYS required rates.
Please submit a cover letter that describes your interest and qualifications for the position (no longer than 2 pages).
Send with a current resumé and the names of three professional references.
Electronic submissions are preferred (MS Word or Adobe Acrobat attachments only, please).
Strike A Match in the subject line.
Email Leese Walker: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will consider applications via a rolling review process beginning May 17 until the position is filled.
Strike Anywhere is committed to fostering equity and diversity in all areas of the organization including our staff and Board. We respect intersectionality of identities, and value collaboration, access, inclusion, and multiple perspectives. To support our hiring goal of identifying a highly qualified pool of candidates that fully reflects the communities we serve, we strongly encourage candidates who identify as people of color, LGBTQIA+, women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, or members of other under-represented populations to apply.
Strike Anywhere is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, (dis)ability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, arts education, dance, finance, management, manager, music, and theatre. States: New York.
Please Share the General Manager job: