Full-Time Exhibit Technician
This position is a hybrid of artistry and maintenance: builds new exhibits, repairs and enhances old exhibits, creates exhibit elements and assists other departments with creative design solutions and construction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build new exhibits, repair and enhance old exhibits, and create exhibit elements.
- Assist other departments with creative design solutions and construction.
- Research material for the construction of exhibits.
- Construct artificial exhibitry elements such as trees, vines, and rocks using a variety of materials such as concrete, fiberglass, epoxy, polyester and other resins, urethanes, plastic, wood and metal.
- Fabricate exhibit components such as display cases, interactive mechanical or electrical elements, and models.
- Assist in preparing and finalizing schematic designs and documents for exhibits.
- Perform construction maintenance, repair or alteration work related to exhibit maintenance and construction.
- Perform other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
There are no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong artistic background with creative problem solving skills.
- Sufficient proficiency in drawing and drafting so as to be able to communicate concepts and design and to produce working drawings.
- Ability to sculpt and paint realistic textures and forms, and to make models, molds and castings.
- Fabrication abilities in all mediums (e.g. wood, metal, concrete, fiberglass, plastics, and composites).
- Familiarity with plumbing, electrical, and sound/video technologies applicable to the exhibitry industry and stage- or construction-rigging expertise.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institution’s Core Values.
Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) in a related field from an accredited four-year college or university; or five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid US Driver’s License required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The position requires an ability to walk or transit across the 92-acre facility in variable weather conditions, enter non-public areas in behind the scenes staff areas. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear; and taste or smell; stand, walk or sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. The job involves some fabrication that requires a great deal of strength, endurance, and coordination. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and variable weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; risk of electrical shock; and vibration. The employee may be required to work at heights on ladders and scaffolding. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
Applications are only accepted online through our Jobs page at www.zoo.org
No other forms of application will be accepted.
Portfolio, Cover letter and resume are REQUIRED when applying for this position. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications are due prior to 12:00 AM on the posted Close date (i.e. by 11:59 PM the evening before).
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.Job Categories: Other. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: design and exhibition. States: Washington.
Please Share the Exhibit Technician job: