The Executive Director serves as the key operations and development leader of a/perture cinema and is responsible for the success and health of the organization.
ABOUT a/perture cinema
Founded as a community-based art cinema in 2008, a/perture cinema transitioned to become a nonprofit organization in 2017 with the mission to engage and entertain the community through the art of film by showcasing informative, educational, thought-provoking and inspiring films – films that enrich our lives, engage our minds, promote diversity and build community. In addition to presenting daily film programming, a/perture advocates for film education and provides varied, inclusive opportunities to deepen, strengthen and diversify connections to the cinema and filmmaking experience. As the region’s only nonprofit arthouse cinema, a/perture cinema, builds an inclusive and welcoming culture and ensures that our cinema is everyone’s cinema.
As a/perture has evolved as a nonprofit organization and expanded their programming, the organization has grown the leadership from a single position to an Executive Director-Artistic Director co-leadership model. The current founder/curator will move into the Artistic Director role, with an Executive Director added as a second leadership position. Together, this team will lead the organization as partners to address its creative and operational needs and plan for a strong future.
The Executive Director serves as the key operations and development leader of a/perture cinema and is responsible for the success and health of the organization. A seasoned nonprofit professional with proven experience working with a Board of Directors and a passion for community arts, the Executive Director manages the day-to-day administration and ensures accountability to a/perture cinema’s vision, mission, and the community. a/perture cinema provides programming at least 6 days and evenings each week and requires leadership during these activities. It is the focus of the position to sustain and enhance the work of the cinema and strive toward the achievement of the organization’s mission, plan, goals and objectives.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and co-leads with the Artistic Director and must demonstrate initiative and drive, have strong interpersonal skills, and be able to plan, organize and manage the work of multiple projects. The Executive Director functions as a spokesperson for the organization in partnership with the Artistic Director and represents the organization’s mission in the community, serving as an encouraging partner, identifying and leveraging opportunities, and leading fundraising and advocacy efforts. This role will seek and create opportunities to build the capacity as an organization and help set a new strategic vision for the mission-based work.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes, skills, and experiences:
- Success with setting and achieving organizational goals with an inclusive, adaptable approach to planning and change management.
- Adeptness with cultivating, informing, and supporting a Board of Directors to effectively carry out its governance role and duties.
- Proficiency with empowering and developing an engaged, inclusive team, in a manner that instills ownership, partnership, achievement, and results.
Fundraising, Collaborations and Resource Development
- Success creating and implementing comprehensive fundraising plans and strategies.
- Experience with resource development including prospect research, cultivation strategies, events, campaigns, donor solicitation, and grant writing and management.
- Expertise creating opportunity through collaboration, communications, and outreach with current and potential partners and the community at-large.
- Skillful relationship-building and inviting stakeholder input with the ability to adapt to the diverse and complex needs of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience developing, implementing, and nurturing a core volunteer team to augment current staffing and assist in the customer experience, delivery of programs and services and special events.
- Proficiency in building a flexible organization with a sustainable infrastructure, policies, operations, and practices that are successful and consistent with strategic priorities.
- Oversight of high-quality programs and innovative service design, implementation, and evaluation.
- Knowledge of and ability to ensure compliance with regulatory and reporting entities, insurance policies, and contracts.
- Oversight of office and facilities, including maintenance, equipment, and service planning.
Financial Planning and Management
- Competency with budgeting and financial projections.
- Knowledge of financial management fundamentals and controls, including monitoring financial performance with transparency and integrity.
- Experience with financial reporting to a Board of Directors, funders, and governments.
- Responsibility for HR and payroll functions.
- Strong communication skills in interpersonal and group interactions; capacity to communicate issues clearly and persuasively.
- Ability to work effectively with people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Demonstrated competence resolving conflict and being appropriately supportive when addressing challenges that staff, board members or stakeholders experience.
The target hiring salary for this position is $75,000-$80,000. a/perture offers an annual stipend for salaried employees to purchase benefits. The Board intends for the incoming Executive Director to lead a benefits and compensation review and alignment effort in the near future.
Please submit the following documents to aperture@CapabilityCompanUy.com:
- cover letter
- contact information for three to five references, including at least one direct report and one supervisor/board member
- writing exercise response: Provide a 1-page maximum written description of the specific, innovative activities you would implement and connections you would engage to enhance a/perture’s current strategies to enrich the organization’s presence in and support from the community.
Applications will be reviewed and processed on a rolling basis beginning November 1, 2022, continuing until the position is filled.
Early submission is encouraged.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, entertainment, executive director, finance, and management. States: North Carolina.
Please Share the Executive Director job: