Full-Time Events Manager
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Strategic Initiatives, this position is one of two Event Managers and is responsible for all Front of House operations as they relate to Hopkins Center events. This position maintains close working relationships with the Event Manager, Film Office, Production and Operations departments as well as the Business Office, Company Manager and many more individuals and departments that host events at or with The Hopkins Center. Direct reports include student and community volunteer usher workforce. Diplomacy and maintaining a high level of customer service standards is essential as this position balances the needs of the many on and off-campus constituents, including patrons, institutional donors, alumni, students, faculty and staff, members and others.
Front of House Management 40%
- Supervises the management of all public events in the Hopkins Center including; front of house set-ups in Spaulding Auditorium, Moore Theater, Bentley Theater, Top of Hop, Faulkner Recital Hall, Alumni Hall, Rollins Chapel, and other venues as required by Hopkins Center administration.
- Supervises issuance of orders to FO&M (with the Facilities Manager) or other College agencies involved with house arrangements for these events; responsible for active awareness, troubleshooting and contacting appropriate engineers related to proper heat/or air conditioning, electricity or ventilation.
- Responsible for on-site patron relations including appropriate greeting and assistance, conflict resolution and ensuring comfort and safety.
- Monitors all ADA, 504, building and fire codes for Hopkins Center venue use for events and ensures special needs patrons are supported through providing assisted listening devices, wheelchair accommodation, large-print playbills, etc.
- Maintains and develops the Hopkins Center database of record as well as prepares and provides non-financial events reports related to Front of House and Events.
- Schedules and arranges staffing for the sale of concessions on behalf of visiting artists.
- Responsible for advance planning to ensure effective and smooth operating of event management with respect to seating including; sight lines, seat kills, sales, complimentary tickets, wait-list procedures, and resolution of ticket problems.
- Maintains a cooperative link with the Senior Production Manager and production staff for the presentation of performances as well as with co-sponsors and sponsors of events in Hop spaces.
- May participate in reviewing artist contracts and riders in preparation for events.
- Hires, trains, and supervises the Hopkins Center House staff, including part time House Managers, Ushers and Volunteers as well as part time non-student ushers and senior house managers.
- Oversees maintenance of volunteer usher website used for volunteer usher event sign-up. Must be willing to learn new website technologies.
- Creates and maintains monthly schedule for ushers.
- Supervises proper front of house and audience area use (including security measures) of Spaulding Auditorium, Moore Theater, Warner Bentley Theater, Faulkner Recital Hall, or during any other Hopkins Center space used by the College and non-College organizations.
- Liaison between Hop Events Office and Hop Film.
- Acts as a positive role model for student ushers in appearance and demeanor.
Financial Responsibilities 20%
- May provide labor and event estimates as needed.
- Responsible for scheduling and training event staff for the sale of concessions including but not limited to friendly sales, cash handling and responsible for reconciliation with the artist and the Business Office.
- Prepares and submits all student and non-student payroll.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years of administrative experience in an arts related setting; or the equivalent.
- One year of experience working on-site during live public events, providing access to patrons of all ages and abilities.
- Demonstrated management capability and proven organizational and interpersonal abilities.
- Ability to develop professional working relationships with students and volunteers
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite applications including Outlook, Word and Excel, and other current technologies,
- Should enjoy meeting the public and solving problems that may arise in public service.
- Irregular work schedule includes primarily nights and weekends with some late nights and early mornings.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse community.
- Strong interest in the performing arts is preferred.
- Experience with NSCAN and Tessitura
- Comfortable with the Google Platform as well as other types of cloud-based collaboration spaces.
For additional information and to apply, please visit https://searchjobs.dartmouth.edu/postings/50481
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
PI110321812Job Categories: Other. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts center, management, manager, and supervisor. States: New Hampshire.
Please Share the Events Manager job: