Full-Time Editor + Artistic Director
Art Papers, an Atlanta-based and globally engaged arts and culture nonprofit, seeks to hire a full-time Editor + Artistic Director to set the editorial direction for the award-winning ART PAPERS magazine and Artpapers.org, manage and develop public programming, expand the organization’s digital presence, and grow the Art Papers audience.
Ideal candidates will have competency in contemporary art and an interest in culture more broadly, a diverse and geographically extensive professional network, experience producing engaging public programming, and a unique perspective and editorial vision.
The organization is developing a new three-year strategic plan with diversity, program development, and audience growth as key objectives. The successful candidate will demonstrate experience in these areas.
The Editor + Artistic Director must live in or be willing to relocate to Atlanta, Georgia.
The position reports to the Executive Director, works closely with the Editorial + Circulation Coordinator, and oversees several contract workers.
This is a full-time, exempt position with health and dental benefits.
- Commission and produce all content on a quarterly schedule for ART PAPERS magazine including, but not limited to, reviews, essays, interviews, glossaries, and artist projects
- Commission and produce content on a weekly schedule for Artpapers.org
- Engage the extensive ART PAPERS archive
- Create and manage the editorial calendar and production schedule and ensure that writers are delivering content on time
- Manage the workflow of the Editorial + Circulation Coordinator, Copy Editor, Fact Checker, Proofreader, and Designer
- Engage with and expand our pool of contributing editors to broaden the group’s expertise and geographic reach and deepen their connection to the editorial success of the organization
- Develop a comprehensive plan to grow the Art Papers audience across program areas and platforms, including growing readership for ART PAPERS magazine, page visits and readership for Artpapers.org, and attendance at public programs
- Coordinate existing public programming and develop new programs to deepen engagement and grow audience. Candidates are encouraged to think broadly and ambitiously about opportunities for audience engagement
- Participate in and lead long-term program visioning and planning for the organization
- Provide language for grant applications and participate in organizational fundraising activities as needed
- Serve as a public face and ambassador for Art Papers and attend openings and events on behalf of the organization.
Experience, Skills, and Interests of the Ideal Candidate:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Three to five years of experience in editing and/or writing for arts publications
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment preferred
- Experience coordinating and developing public programming including building partnerships and designing metrics for program evaluation
- Strong writing, research, and editorial skills with experience in maintaining high quality writing standards under deadline pressure
- Must have excellent organizational skills, be an effective communicator, and be adept at public speaking
- Must have experience managing staff
- Must have a strong professional network of artists, writers, curators, and cultural producers that is international in scope
- Must be committed to the local arts scene and be interested in quality work being produced outside of traditional culture capitals
- Must have an extensive knowledge of art history, be well-versed and passionate about contemporary art and culture broadly, and be interested in the points of intersection between art and other disciplines
- Must be proficient with a Mac platform and Microsoft Office. Knowledge of Photoshop (or other design software), audio/video editing, and WordPress a plus.
Qualified applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how their skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. Please also email a brief selection of relevant work examples such as writing or editing samples, plus three references (name, title, professional affiliation, email address, and phone number only), and salary requirements to Saskia Benjamin, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with EDITOR SEARCH in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
The application period closes January 4, 2019, but applicants are urged to apply sooner. The anticipated start date is early spring 2019.
Art Papers is committed to a diverse workplace and is an equal-opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, age, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by law.
For more information about Art Papers, visit: www.artpapers.orgJob Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, development, director, and management. States: Georgia.
Please Share the Editor + Artistic Director job: