Full-Time Director of Music
With a fifty year history as a regional leader in classical music education the Count Basie Center’s Monmouth Conservatory believes that music education enriches both the individual and society. Now, housed in a beautiful new facility in Red Bank, NJ, the rich traditions and high quality of professional instruction continues. The Conservatory has a broad commitment to lifelong learning and community outreach and understands that studying music benefits persons of all ages and circumstance, and enhances appreciation, and enjoyment of classical performance, while promoting the discipline and focus necessary to succeed. Under the direction of the not for profit Count Basie Center for the Arts, the Conservatory is poised to become a trailblazer in classical music education through a comprehensive curriculum, a robust master class program, extensive performance opportunities and exposure to renowned musicians.
Count Basie Center for the Arts vision for the future is to evolve as a world-class center for arts education, culture, and the performing arts. Our soon to be completed expansion project will allow us potentially to double the number of its performance, educational and cultural offerings, while reaching a wider sector of the community through new partnerships and programs. The Count Basie Center for the Arts board, leadership, management and staff are enthusiastic to realize this vision, which will solidify Monmouth County as a destination for the arts and education, and act as a model for communities across the country.
Under the direction of the President & CEO and Vice President of Education, the Director of Music will develop a cohesive and collaborative structure for Conservatory programs designed to promote a positive atmosphere of community and to increase the visibility of these programs. Additionally, he/she will uphold the proud history and mission of Count Basie Center’s Conservatory of Music and elevate its engagement and presence within the region. Through his/her efforts the Basie’s vision for the future to evolve as a world-class center for arts education, culture, and the performing arts will become a reality.
RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES
- Be committed to expanding opportunities for students of all ages and backgrounds to engage and discover a passion for the arts.
- Build a faculty renowned for both their professional accomplishments and their teaching ability, and fine tune program offerings to fully engage a wide range of students.
- Articulate a clear vision for growth of the Conservatory of Music
- Inspire and lead Conservatory to ensure that students are motivated, challenged, and nurtured and are given the opportunity to develop their creative talents in a positive and innovative environment.
- Plan a diverse annual program of concerts, recitals, and musical events for students and the community at large including theme development and integration of guest artists, ensembles, and soloists.
- Meet regularly with all music program heads to explore opportunities for further growth towards achieving a widespread reputation for status of excellence and greater visibility and engagement.
- Develop arts enrichment residences, assemblies and outreach performances, lecture series, guest artist performances and manage communication and logistics.
- Encourage and facilitate participation in music competitions at all levels.
- With Department heads create a cohesive, workable curriculum for all instrumental genres and levels and institute a system for assessing student growth and progress.
- Work with Basie Development team during the fundraising and grant process.
- Work with Basie Education Department and Finance Department in developing and adhere to annual budget, including identifying areas for revenue.
- Represent the Music programs at community events, forums, lecture series, and concerts.
- Serve as an advocate for Music Education extolling the importance and benefits of a solid music foundation. Support and promote area public and private school music programs, and create synergies to increase engagement in music education and music program enrollment.
- Teach intermediate to advanced level classes in his or her genre.
- Must be available for special events, nights and weekends as needed
- Have an advanced degree in music education/arts management or comparable work experience.
- Be well organized with strong leadership abilities.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and be confident as a public speaker.
- Be creative, innovative, and collaborative with key stakeholders, as well as capable of making decisions quickly and effectively.
- Have an in depth knowledge of classical music and an appreciation for all genres of music
- Be classically trained at a high caliber and proficient in at least one musical performance area.
- Have fundraising and event planning experience and be able to increase program revenues while maintaining costs to result in a yearly surplus.
- Be committed to the mission and vision of the Count Basie Center for the Arts.
Closing date for applications is July 15, 2019.
Applicants should forward a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: Jennifer Lee, Education & Outreach Associate / Monmouth Conservatory Administrator at: JLee@thebasie.orgJob Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts center, director, and music. States: New Jersey.
Please Share the Director of Music job: