Full-Time Director of Marketing & Communications
Berkeley Symphony seeks a creative, analytical, and ambitious Director of Marketing & Communications.
In partnership with the Associate Executive Director, this full-time, management position is responsible for the strategy, management, and execution of marketing, sales, and communication programs aimed at generating consistent revenue growth, increasing brand awareness and acquiring and retaining audience members. This position also oversees the Patron Services department which is responsible for ticketing, box office reporting, and donor recordkeeping and communication.
Successful candidates will be highly creative and skilled at engaging audience members and patrons through effective storytelling in print and digital media. Core job responsibilities include: creation and oversight of print, electronic, and social media campaign planning; analytics, evaluation, and reporting; content creation; press and media relations; and budget management. As a member of the Berkeley Symphony team, the Director of Marketing & Communications provides the best possible customer service and support to all constituencies of the organization.
Ideal candidates will demonstrate:
- At minimum, a bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline and 5-7 years in a related position
- Consistent track record of driving revenue/audience/patron growth with targeted marketing programs and fundraising campaigns
- Experience in print/physical, electronic, and audio and audio/visual media, marketing, and sales
- Experience with database and information systems (ex. Tessitura, Theatre Manager, other CRM platforms; IT and/or computer programming is not required)
- Adeptness at data analysis, budget management, and ROI measurement
- Basic web (HTML, CMS, CSS, coding) and basic graphic design (Photoshop, InDesign) and videography (Premiere) skills preferred
- Well developed writing skills for creating marketing, program content, and press releases as well as writing grant applications, when needed; outstanding communication skills
- Experience with donor and patron relations; ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Mastery of project planning and management, time and resource management, creative problem solving, attention to detail and sound decision-making
- Strong collaborative and people management skills
- Nonprofit Development experience a plus
- Availability to work occasional nights and weekends as needed
- Ability to lift up to 42 lbs. on occasion
- Access to a car, when needed
The Director of Marketing & Communications is responsible for the following duties, as well as additional ones, as assigned:
- Develop annual work plans and budgets for all marketing, sales, and fundraising campaigns
- For campaigns, set measurable goals, implement tactics for measurement and A/B testing, and analyze effectiveness and ROI
- Lead the concept development, production, and distribution of all promotional and communications efforts, including print/physical, electronic (email, social media), media campaigns, and press engagements
- Develop rich written content aimed at telling the story of the Symphony and engaging audiences for publication through print, web and social media channels; develop visual collateral in-house, as needed
- Manage Berkeley Symphony written and visual brand standards
- Utilizing the TRG Arts Data Center, Google Analytics, email provider, and other tools, conduct audience research and segmentation to increase market penetration and efficiency
- Supervise the Patron Services Manager and efforts related to subscription/season ticket and single ticket campaigns, including telesales and in-house mailings
- Work in partnership with third-party vendors, including graphic designers, printers, mail houses, photographers, videographers, concert program annotators, media channels, and an advertising sales firm, among others, on the creation, management, and publication of assets and collateral
- Represent Berkeley Symphony at concert, donor, industry and civic events, as needed
The Director of Marketing & Communications reports to the Associate Executive Director and has one direct report, the Patron Services Manager.
FLSA Status and Availability:
Full time and FLSA exempt. The position is available immediately.
Compensation, including medical, dental, and vision benefits, is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please, no phone calls or hard copy/physical mail submission.
About Berkeley Symphony:
Founded in 1971 in the intellectual and artistic nexus of Berkeley, California, Berkeley Symphony is unique among Bay Area and American orchestras for its commitment to innovation, community, and excellence. Recognized both locally and internationally for its spirited programming and community service, Berkeley Symphony is renowned for its dedication to presenting vibrant contemporary and classical masterworks. The Symphony presents public Symphonic, Chamber, and Family series performances, and produces over 360 Music in the Schools events annually. Berkeley Symphony is the recipient of numerous ASCAP awards for adventurous programming, and the orchestra been called “the model of self generating excellence” (Financial Times) with “a winning catalog of musical virtues” (San Francisco Chronicle).
Please submit any queries by email to email@example.com
Berkeley Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Job Categories: Music. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, management, marketing, media, and music. States: California.
Please Share the Director of Marketing & Communications job: