Director of Institutional Advancement
Director of Institutional Advancement Job Description
• Position: Director of Institutional Advancement
• Position Status: Full-time Exempt
• Reports to: Executive Director
• Salary: $70,000 with exceptional benefits (see below)
• Updated: September 24, 2021
Adventure Theatre MTC (ATMTC) is committed to building self-sufficiency within our community through acknowledging and removing barriers both seen and unseen to those who would like to participate in the art of theater.
ATMTC believes fundamentally in inspiring wonder in our audiences, classrooms, work culture and community by combining inspiration and action, paired with a desire to lean into the whimsical. At Adventure, we hope to do as much playing in our work as we do on our stages and in our classrooms, and to never cease pushing the limits of possibility.
ATMTC is the pre-eminent Theater Academy for youth in the DC region with an integrated and nationally renowned professional theater for family audiences. Our mission is to educate and inspire new generations of theater artists and audiences with exceptional theatrical experiences.
The Director of Institutional Advancement (DOIA) of Adventure Theatre MTC is responsible for ensuring ATMTC meets its fundraising and community engagement goals. The DOIA, in coordination with the Executive Team, is also responsible for maintaining the ATMTC brand. To achieve this, the DOIA coordinates all fundraising, community engagement, communications, and front of house activities utilizing the Senior Leadership, the Board of Directors, and volunteers.
As a member of the Senior Staff, the DOIA serves as a public face of ATMTC promoting the program and managing partnerships, ensures clear communication with other departments, and contributes to strategic planning for the organization.
The DOIA reports to the Executive Director (EXEC) and supervises Marketing Associate, the Box Office/Special Events Associate, as well as development contractors.
- Work closely with the EXEC to develop a comprehensive fundraising plan;
- Grow overall fundraising year over year 3 – 5%;
- Manage a team of staff, consultants, and volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major, mid-level and small donors, foundations, corporations, and government grants;
- Oversee the development and distributions of prospect research to team members in advance of key meetings;
- Maximize CRM implementation to support donor cultivation and stewardship;
- Cultivate relationships with individual donors and prospects from the Washington Metropolitan area.
- Oversee the preparation of all fundraising collateral materials.
Communications & Community Engagement
- Oversee Marketing consultant in developing and executing an integrated strategic communications plan including all marketing, public relations, publications, and sales programs with the goal of growing earned income through ticket sales and academy revenue by at least 4% annually.
- In coordination with Marketing consultant, ensure appropriate measurement tools, techniques, and systems to report and/or determine effectiveness of each campaign.
- Oversee timely and effective press releases and media advisories
- Coordinate with marketing consultant to ensure effective liaising with all press at ATMTC events including but not limited to: VIP opening, press events, and Gala
- With executive team, develop partnership relationships that strengthen Institutional Advancement opportunities;
- Serve as an ambassador of ATMTC at public events including but not limited to symposia, networking events, conferences, and workshops.
- Manage special events to ensure an exceptional guest experience within budget and with a focus on cultivation and stewardship.
- Plan and execute annual Gala.
- Oversee donor experiences at First Rehearsals, and VIP Openings.
- Plan and execute additional special events as needed.
Front of House
- Oversee the Patron Services department including box office, house management, and the front of house volunteer program.
- Create and execute premium patron events to increase revenue and further develop audience engagement.
- Collaborate with other internal departments to improve the patrons’ experience of ATMTC.
- Collaborate regularly with the executive team and marketing consultant to ensure a clear and accurate interpretation of the organization’s vision, direction, and brand.
- Shape public perception of ATMTC and the brand identity through print communications, publications, electronic media, media relations, public events, and customer experiences.
- Oversee the development of all collateral material including but not limited to presentations, publications, digital media, and templates.
- In coordination with the EXEC, manage the budget for all Development activities;
- Maintain the staff calendar;
- Manage department invoices, and submit payment requests;
- Have a love of working for children and on children’s programming;
- 3- 5 years’ progressive development experience;
- Ability to lead a collaborative team process;
- Demonstrated positive attitude and self-directed with a strong work ethic;
- A demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with students, parents, artists, board members, donors, and administrators;
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational, and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated attention to detail;
- Proficiency of MS Office Suite software;
- Proficiency in CRM or Fundraising software;
- Ability to work evenings and weekends;
- Willingness to submit to a background check;
- Previous Budget experience preferred;
- Previous Marketing experience preferred;
- Previous Theater experience preferred, and
- Previous event management experience preferred
This is a full-time salaried position with full benefits.
Highlights of our benefits include:
- 100% Individual Health Care Premium
- 100% Individual Dental & Vision
- 403 b Match
- Unlimited Leave
Please submit by any means that you would like (letter, video, video letter, resume, portfolio, etc.) that best represents you and your work. Include and highlight any skills or experiences you think would be most crucial to this position. Feel free to mail, email, or drop off your submission.
In the spirit of aligning with our EDI goals and to ensure that we are considering all candidates fairly, Adventure Theatre commits to review all applications in consultation with a diverse team of staff and board members.
Email: Leon Seemann, Executive Director, Lseemann@adventuretheatre-mtc.org
Mail or Drop Off: 837-D Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852
No phone calls please. ATMTC is an EOE.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: communication, development, director, fund-raising, marketing, and theatre. States: Maryland.
Please Share the Director of Institutional Advancement job: