Director of External Engagement→ Boston, Massachusetts, United States
About the Role
The Director of External Engagement provides internal and external leadership for programs that support the BSO’s commitment to building strong and reciprocity-based relationships with communities in the city of Boston and beyond. The person in the role serves as an ambassador of community engagement as a gateway to audience development and a lever for BSO’s ability to sustain and grow its cultural relevance.
The Director of External Engagement is responsible for linking the BSO with the larger arts organizations, developing and expanding programming, and creating strong connections across schools and communities. This position is responsible for raising the visibility of the BSO and its commitment to the integration of community-specific lenses into all BSO activities. The Director of Education is supported by two (2) full-time direct reports.
About the BSO
Founded in 1881, the Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO) is one of the premier orchestras in the world. The BSO is committed to being a best-in-class employer that brings artistic excellence and cultural relevance through music and performances to the local and international communities
- Provide primary leadership and management in implementation of all BSO community engagement efforts.
- Supervise departmental staff, incl. recruiting, hiring, supervision and evaluation of direct reports.
- Work collaboratively with orchestra musicians and various BSO departments to implement the BSO’s strategic priorities for community engagement in the city of Boston and beyond.
- Manage the day-to-day efforts to strengthen the relationships between community stakeholders and external leaders who represent various stakes in and for the city of Boston.
- Serve as liaison to schools and organizations to increase community engagement with the BSO.
- Evaluate impact of community engagement programs.
- Work across the BSO to advance the goals of the organization in specific program areas that include, but are not limited to:
- BSO In Residence
- Youth and Family Concerts and related activities
- High School Open Rehearsals
- Days in the Arts
- Educators Advisory Council
- Collegiate Ambassadors
- Concert for Very Young people
- Community Chamber Concerts
- College Card programs
- Symphony for Our City
- Concerto Competition
- Oversee and manage resource and budget tracking for community engagement programs.
- Provide accountability through evaluation and data analysis of programs impact and outcomes.
- Develop and implement the BSO In Residence program (2017 and beyond).
- Support the objectives of the Board as endorsed by the mission, program and engagement committee and other board initiatives.
- Serve as informal contact to the department for the Germeshausen Youth and Family Concert Conductor; collaborate with Conductor to create and advance programs for BSO Youth and Family Concerts and to involve the Conductor as appropriate with other strategic initiatives.
- Serve as one of the public faces for the BSO Education and External Engagement Department for external stakeholders, working closely with community partners and leaders.
- Serve as one of the BSO representatives in BEAM (Bridge to Equity and Achievement through Music), a multi-year grant from Mellon Foundation involving five partner organizations in Boston.
- In collaboration with the Public Relations Dept, encourage and facilitate effective communications with external audiences to ensure alignment of goals and effective use of resources.
- Represent the BSO at relevant professional and community meetings.
- Oversee departmental communications efforts with internal and external stakeholders.
Required Education and Experience
- Prior leadership experience in non-profit arts/cultural management, arts administration.
- Significant experience in goal setting and strategy development.
- Knowledge of classical music.
- Demonstrated project management and implementation skills.
- Prior experience managing all aspects of budgetary responsibilities.
- Ability to organize, convene, and maintain positive working relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to analyze data and apply analysis to refine and improve programs and program strategies.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated success in team management.
- Strong organizational, supervisory and management skills.
- Required flexible schedule, incl. morning, evening, and weekend program activities and meetings.
- Advanced degree preferred.
Please apply here:
The BSO is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Categories: Other. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: Community Engagement, director, music, and non-profit. States: Massachusetts.