Director of Development
Organization and Position Overview
Skylight Music Theatre produces the full spectrum of music theatre – from blockbuster Broadway musicals to reimagined operas, from delightful operettas to contemporary Off-Broadway hits. Skylight’s strength lies in the magical combination of music and song to tell a story in a way that words or music alone can’t reach. Founded in 1959, Skylight is Milwaukee’s professional music theatre company and the largest employer of Wisconsin actors in the State.
Skylight’s mainstage home is the 350-seat Cabot Theatre at the Broadway Theatre Center in Milwaukee’s Historic Third Ward. The Cabot is considered one of Milwaukee’s most beautiful theatres and provides audiences with great views of the action on stage.
Skylight has established a reputation for broad and adventuresome repertoire, encompassing Broadway musicals, operetta, opera and Gilbert and Sullivan. This tantalizing mix of repertoire fulfills the mission of the Skylight, which is to bring the full spectrum of musical theatre works to a wide and diverse audience in celebration of the musical and theatrical arts and their reflection of the human condition.
Entertaining more than 30,000 people each season, Skylight has won national praise for its artistic excellence, versatility, and virtuoso ensemble productions. Emphasizing the development of emerging American artists, directors, and designers, Skylight attracts important new talent from around the country. With extended rehearsal and production periods, Skylight artists hone their skills, expand their repertoire, and gain invaluable experience.
Skylight Music Theatre’s 2021-2022 season marks the theatre’s return to in-person performances after the pandemic cancelled performances for 18 months. The new season was inspired by the quote on the beautiful, hand-painted ceiling of Skylight’s home, the Cabot Theatre, which says, ‘to help us forget some things, remember others, and to refresh the dry places in our spirit.’ The productions aim to do just that, said Skylight Artistic Director Michael Unger, with stories that spread joy, fill the heart, and inspire the soul.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to Skylight Music Theatre’s work. We strive to realize these core values throughout our organization by: Acknowledging systemic racism, hatred and violence have silenced voices for far too long; Knowing we have much more work to do and committing to actions that increase equity, diversity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work; Presenting a wide range of perspectives to inspire dialogue. To listen and recognize contributions from those who have been under-represented and unheard; Using our art form to tell stories that increase understanding and empathy. At Skylight, we stand together with our community and fellow arts organizations to embrace words and actions that help make the world a better, more empathetic, and more accepting place.
Working closely with, and reporting to, the Executive Director, the Director of Development will take a creative and collaborative approach to cultivating and obtaining the contributed financial resources necessary to support the mission of Skylight Music Theatre. They are responsible for building a sustainable donor and prospect pipeline to promote increased donor engagement with Skylight’s mission. In collaboration with the other members of the senior leadership team, the Director of Development also fills a key strategic role within the organization by helping to define and articulate the strategic priorities of the organization. A commitment to the highest levels of professionalism in the field of development is required.
To learn more, please visit: www.skylightmusictheatre.org.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, manage and implement the various fundraising programs of Skylight Music Theatre.
- Oversee the following: annual campaigns, sponsorships, major gift solicitation, special events, planned giving programs, participation in UPAF campaigns, as well as raising capital funds for needed improvements in the infrastructure of Skylight and the Broadway Theatre Center.
- Create and plan a multi-faceted stewardship program.
- Effectively execute endowment and capital fund raising activities.
Organizational Leadership and Financial Management
- Develop and execute a departmental operational plan and budget while supporting Skylight’s overall Strategic Plan.
- Participate in strategic planning and daily strategic decisions of the senior leadership team.
- Attend meetings and support the activities of the Board of Directors.
- Work closely with the marketing department to collaborate on key initiatives, ensure consistency of collateral, and promotion of events.
Internal and External Relationships
- Cultivate and guide volunteer leadership.
- Develop and nurture relationships with donors, volunteers, and prospects.
- Build and maintain relationships with others in the field to augment awareness of philanthropic issues and trends.
- Work closely with other members of the senior leadership team and the Board of Directors.
- Supervise contracted Grant Writer.
- Joint supervision of the Executive Assistant/Development Associate.
- Excellent people skills, a sense of humor, energy, and a drive for results.
- Superior strategic thinking and planning skills are required.
- Staff, board, donor and volunteer cultivation and management skills required.
- Strong written communication skills and clear, concise writing style required.
- Ability to prioritize and excel at many different tasks in a fast-paced environment is necessary.
- Adherence to the fundraising code of ethics and donor bill of rights along with a thorough understanding of fundraising principles.
- A Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Ability to collaborate effectively and respect the ideas of others is essential.
- Six or more years of development experience is preferred.
- Major gifts, endowment and/or capital campaign experience is preferred.
- High computer literacy is required, and Tessitura experience is appreciated.
- Familiarity with the performing arts and performing arts management is a plus.
Skylight Music Theatre is proud to offer its valued staff members a generous benefit package.
Skylight Music Theatre offers salaries commensurate with professional and applicable experience.
Instructions for Applicants
For full consideration, please email all information below, combined into one document, to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00 p.m. CT on August 27, 2021:
- Please submit a letter describing your qualifications for this position, and a description of your salary parameters; addressed to:
Mindy Lubar Price, Leading Transitions LLC, 1345 North Jefferson St., Suite 350 Milwaukee, WI 53202
- A detailed and updated resume; and
- The names of, and your relationship to, and the contact information for, three professional references.
- References will not be contacted until a candidate has been notified
- All offers of employment are contingent upon clear results of thorough background checks.
- All inquiries and interactions with potential candidates are kept in strict confidence.
Skylight Music Theatre supports, and is committed to, the principle of equal employment opportunity. The Skylight will recruit, train, hire, transfer, promote, compensate, and make all employment related decisions without regard to an individual’s race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, national origin or ancestry, marital status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected status as required by law.
Leading Transitions is committed to contributing to an inclusive society that is influenced by diverse opinions and a wide representation of leaders. We partner with individuals and organizations to ensure the future vitality of nonprofit, philanthropic and community-centered organizations, and leaders to best impact the community. The firm’s inclusive and adaptable practices provide the flexibility necessary to adapt to the intricacies and dynamics of any organization.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: development, director, finance, management, music, and theatre. States: Wisconsin.
Please Share the Director of Development job: