Director of Communications
• JOB TITLE: Director of Communications
• DEPARTMENT: Marketing
• REPORTS TO: Chief Marketing Officer
• STATUS: Exempt
• CLASSIFICATION: Regular, Full-Time (37.5 hours/week, benefited)
• SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, some evenings, weekends, and events
• DIRECT REPORTS: None
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is San Francisco’s center for art and progress. Opened to the public in 1993, YBCA was founded as the cultural anchor of San Francisco’s Yerba Buena Gardens neighborhood. Our work spans the realms of contemporary art, performance, film, civic engagement, and public life. By centering artists as essential to social and cultural movement, YBCA is reimagining the role an arts institution can play in the community it serves. Our mission is to generate culture that moves people.
Mission: We generate culture that moves people.
Vision: A community that thrives on inspiration.
The successful candidate will embody our organization’s core values:
- Abundance: We operate from a place of strength, with a spirit of empathy and generosity.
- Authentic Collaboration: We are engaged and interconnected.
- Personal Agency: We are empowered and accountable.
- Boldness: We create with courage and purpose.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Director of Communications will serve as a lead storyteller for YBCA. Your work will further our ability to build the capacity of artists and demonstrate the essential role that artists play in the wellbeing of communities. You will lead our external communications strategy, partnering with CMO and senior management to build, refine, and prioritize media opportunities.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
At YBCA, we continue to prioritize the health and wellbeing of our employees and candidates. All interviews will be conducted remotely via phone or video conference while YBCA complies with local and state health ordinances. Please note that this position may perform some work remotely and on site responsibilities.
- Lead external communications as the driver of how we amplify and advance our reputation with key external stakeholders, potential collaborators and the general public.
- Serve as a strong strategic thinker with the ability to anticipate and mitigate potential communications challenges.
- Capitalize on opportunities that will further our ability to clarify our vision and desired impact.
- Collaborate closely with the CEO, the CMO, and YBCA leadership to cultivate local and national media relationships and pursue speaking engagements that will connect YBCA with industry leaders, potential collaborators and investors.
- Develop strategic local and national media relationships that will elevate the profiles of YBCA artists, collaborators, and senior leadership to differentiate and uniquely position YBCA and demonstrate the impact of our initiatives.
- Provide strategic communications counsel to our senior leadership and collaborators and artists as appropriate.
- Lead the development of press releases, press kits and public education campaigns to help the public understand our work.
- Partner with the Marketing team to advance and optimize storytelling across YBCA’s owned digital platforms, coordinating media relations timelines with overall editorial calendars
- Translate broad strategies into clear, specific objectives and key results for teams.
- Leverage a variety of platforms to heighten the visibility of YBCA’s story, core artists and collaborators, programs, initiatives, and staff.
- Partner with Growth Marketing Analyst to establish and track metrics for major external communications efforts and materials such as white papers and thought leadership to build comprehensive stories of impact.
- Proactively pitch YBCA experiences, programs and performances for relevant listings and pursue broad opportunities that help the public understand how to engage with us.
- Project manage workflows that will prepare internal and external stakeholders, track materials and communicate deadlines in advance to prepare internal teams for announcements and follow up communications.
- Other duties as assigned
- 8+ years of experience in public relations for an Arts and Culture Organization, Public Relations firm, media, or related field
- Demonstrated mastery of external communication fundamentals, and fluency in the most current communication platforms/mediums.
- Ability to synthesize complex narratives into clear, compelling stories.
- Expertise in crisis communications and change management, thriving in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional writer and dynamic speaker with experience serving as spokesperson
- Demonstrate expertise in developing key messaging related to rapid response
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse cultural backgrounds
- Experience working with, and presenting to, a variety of stakeholders such as senior leadership teams, board of directors, etc.
- Strong business acumen, and an understanding of key metrics relevant to achieving an organization’s strategic plans.
- Proactive, results-oriented, and a champion of innovative ideas.
PTO, Holiday Pay, Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, Group Life and AD&D Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, Voluntary Life and AD&D, Employee Assistance Program, Travel Assistance, paid time off to volunteer, and ability to participate in the 403(b) Retirement Plan with match.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is committed to diversity in its programming and in creating a work culture and environment that is reflective of San Francisco Bay Area demography. The Center encourages and actively recruits applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.
YBCA will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
Hello and thank you for taking the time to apply and let us know that you are interested in joining our team at YBCA.
After you apply, you will receive a confirmation email to let you know that your resume has been received.
Rest assured, a member of our recruiting team will personally review your application.
If you are a potential match for one of our open positions, we will be in touch.
If there is not a match right now, we will keep your resume on file for future opportunities.
In the meantime, please connect with us on social media @YBCA to learn more about us.
Thank you for your time and we wish you the best on your job search.
Agencies and Recruiting Firms:
Please note that we will only review applications submitted directly by candidates and do not accept resumes or pay fees to third parties.
Any unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of YBCA.
Apply online: ybca.org/work-with-us/
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts center, communication, director, and marketing. States: California.
Please Share the Director of Communications job: