Full-Time Director of Artistic Planning
Cal Performances is seeking a Director of Artistic Planning.
Cal Performances is the performing arts presenting, commissioning and producing organization based at the University of California, Berkeley. The mission of Cal Performances is to produce and present performances of the highest artistic quality, enhanced by programs that explore compelling intersections of education and the performing arts. To learn more about Cal Performances, please visit http://calperformances.org/.
The Director of Artistic Planning works closely with the Executive and Artistic Director to envision and plan innovative programs that support the mission of Cal Performances and allows the organization to achieve its goals in artistic excellence, education and community engagement, and financial stability. The Director of Artistic Planning works with the Executive and Artistic Director in conceiving, developing, and implementing Cal Performances’ artistic vision, and in creating programs for the season. The position provides program information critical to the development, marketing, communications, and education teams. Working with the Executive and Artistic Director, senior management and the Board of Directors, the Director of Artistic Planning ensures that all relevant parties within the organization are brought into the planning process at appropriate points in the timeline and that the organization is effective in programming and budgeting for multiple seasons simultaneously. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring information flow between the artistic planning department and operations, marketing, fundraising, education, and finance. S/he will also maintain key artist and artist management relationships with an eye towards future planning.
The Director of Artistic Planning is a creative resource for fundraising and marketing strategies. The incumbent seeks out and shares information necessary to the fundraising and marketing efforts of the organization, and is actively engaged with the campus community to collaborate on artistic initiatives of benefit to the entire University.
The incumbent also actively collaborates with the business and arts communities to broaden the outreach and impact of the organization.
30% Artistic Planning*
● In collaboration with Executive and Artistic Director, plan, coordinate and strategize all aspects of the programming department including scheduling, contracting, negotiating, researching, viewing potential artists and proposal writing.
● Assists Executive and Artistic Director with the creation of Cal Performances’ presenting season, with particular focus on Dance, Theater, New Music, World Music, Jazz, speakers, festivals and special events programming.
● Identifies talent — nationally and internationally — to assess potential and advise Executive and Artistic Director for future planning, as required.
● Curates specific programmatic product lines.
● Works with Operations to produce events from inception to execution, as necessary.
● Negotiates and directs the execution of all artist contracts.
● In collaboration with the Executive and Artistic Director, oversees the artist and artist manager relationship strategy; develops and maintains positive relationships with artist managers.
● Attends relevant conferences and meetings with the Executive and Artistic Director or in place of the Executive and Artistic Director, for the purpose of assisting with the artistic planning and/or representing Cal Performances’ artistic concerns.
● Attends events and serves as the organizational representative with artists and patrons, as appropriate.
● Serves as Cal Performances’ public spokesperson at donor and campus community-related activities.
● Keeps abreast of existing and emerging artistic talents and repertoire
● Keeps abreast of relevant trends in the contemporary practice of artistic presentation and administration.
25% Strategic Planning and Communication*
● Builds artistic outline of each season, tracks progress towards articulated goals and recommends adjustments accordingly.
● Identifies and develops broader thematic threads in each season’s program for exploration and collaboration with campus partners in relevant academic and cultural units.
● Ensures artistic plans are made to intentionally develop audience.
● Convenes and shares information with relevant internal stakeholders at key, predetermined points in the planning process.
● Provides artistic information to Development department regarding fundraising opportunities.
● Creates a steady and timely flow of information regarding artistic plans to all departments. Convenes cross-departmental meetings to ensure that all stakeholders have the information necessary to allow for an effective and efficient planning process, and nurtures best practices within the organization to this end.
● Develops and/or continuously improves necessary planning and implementation workflows and systems.
● Supervises and directs Artistic Literacy department, actively creating synergies with artistic planning. In collaboration with Executive and Artistic Director and Artistic Literacy department, develops strategy for Cal Performances’ comprehensive education and community programs.
30% Budget Development & Control*
● Sets and manages overall programming budget, and keeps open line of communication regarding production expenses.
● In collaboration with Finance, Administration, and the Executive and Artistic Director, builds and tracks financial model for multiple seasons simultaneously.
● Develops and oversees annual artistic planning budget consistent with long-range financial projections in coordination with production, fundraising, marketing and communications and artistic literacy. Monitors expenses throughout the fiscal year.
● Manages the Director of Artistic Literacy and the Artistic Administrator.
● Selects, trains, supervises, and evaluates a high caliber professional staff. Motivates and inspires staff, welcoming their ideas and encouraging teamwork.
● Provides leadership and direction to direct reports; ensures accurate implementation of strategies; coaches staff to successfully accomplish established goals.
● Oversees work processes and output to ensure quality standards are met and continued improvement is achieved.
● Serves as primary contact for outside programming consultants and manages these relationships.
● Supervises selection of outside vendors as necessary.
*denotes an essential job function
● Extensive knowledge of all genres of the performing arts represented in Cal Performances seasons, with specific expertise in Dance, Theater, Jazz and World Music.
● Articulate in various performing arts genres; able to speak and write persuasively about the value and importance of the arts, arts education, and the programs of Cal Performances.
● Broad, in-depth experience in developing an artistic program, negotiating with artists’ management firms, agents and artists for services.
● Experience in a Senior management level position of responsibility, desired.
● Demonstrated financial expertise, with emphasis in planning, analysis, and reporting, to effectively manage large revenue and expense budgets.
● Innovative, able to create new ideas and strategies for revenue; able to coordinate and communicate those ideas to ensure optimum results.
● Experience in audience development, knowledgeable about new models for effective social, community, and audience networking.
● Demonstrated ability to effectively plan, implement and manage at both strategic and operational levels.
● Exceptional interpersonal skills; able to work cooperatively with a diverse constituency to foster an environment of respect and civility.
● Strong and effective communicator who is able to articulate objectives, set priorities, and delegate responsibilities.
● Excellent management skills to effectively manage multiple duties and expectations while motivating, supporting, and collaborating with the Board, staff, patrons, media, artists, agents and the broader community. Proven ability to manage a staff of professionals with demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and professionally develop a creative staff.
● High degree of proficiency using various software including MS Office Suite and the ability to learn specialty software as required (e.g., ArtsVision).
● Able and willing to regularly attend evening and weekend performances and special events; to work nights, weekends and holidays, as necessary; and to occasionally travel domestically and internationally.
For more information and to apply, please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu/ (search by the Job ID #26987). When applying, please include a cover letter with your resume as a single attachment.Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. States: California.
Please Share the Director of Artistic Planning job: