Full-Time Director, Human Resources
About Second Stage Theatre
Second Stage Theatre produces work entirely by 21st century American playwrights both on and off-Broadway. Dedicated to adventurous contemporary plays and musicals, bold new interpretations, and unique theatrical experiences, the work at Second Stage reflects diversity and inclusiveness. Through the discovery of emerging talent and the commissioning of new work, Second Stage nurtures future generations of theater artists and welcomes a theatergoing audience of all backgrounds.
Director, Human Resources
The Director, Human Resources (Director) will oversee all strategic and functional Human Resource operations of Second Stage. As a member of the Senior Staff and reporting to the Executive Director, the Director will develop and implement strategic initiatives related to recruiting, hiring, and retaining staff, while advancing the tenants of diversity, equity, and inclusion. The Director will be instrumental in creating and fostering a work culture that values experimentation and collaboration.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
- In coordination with the Executive Director and Senior Staff, develop and implement strategic human resource initiatives related to recruiting and hiring, including concentration of diversity and inclusion.
- In coordination with the Executive Director and Senior Staff and working with the staff, create and implement a code of conduct.
- Propose human resources initiatives to the Executive Director and Senior Staff that will move the HR department and organization forward.
Recruitment and Hiring
- Oversee and ensure best practices across recruitment and hiring processes in coordination with Executive Director
- Oversee the recruiting and hiring process for all regular and seasonal positions (full and part-time), strategically and tactically with a focus on diversity and inclusion, including reviewing job descriptions, posting opportunities externally
- Initial review of all candidates, including screening candidates for experience and salary requirements.
- Support hiring managers through activities such as providing salary benchmarks, and ensuring assignment of proper employment status
- Manage and support the onboarding process, in coordination with hiring managers, to ensure new employees receive the resources that they need and are set up for success.
- Communicate initial job offers to prospective employees.
- Compose and send offer letters and benefits information, set start date.
- Communicate on-boarding information to appropriate departments (i.e., Operations, IT, etc.)
- Conduct New Employee Orientations, as necessary.
- Maintain and expand new employee orientation materials.
- Ensure all new hire paperwork is up to date and forwarded to the Payroll Manager in a timely manner.
- Draft and send new hire announcements to all staff.
- Support and counsel supervisors in carrying out their managerial responsibilities.
- Counsel managers on procedures relating to performance review and development, including performance improvement plans, as necessary. Support managers in identifying relevant needs and opportunities.
- Communicate with Executive Director and Senior Staff regarding personnel issues as necessary.
- Work with managers on the performance evaluation timeline, ensuring evaluations are completed and documented annually.
- Work with the leadership team to deploy and analyze the annual employee engagement survey, and on an ongoing basis make recommendations to the Leadership Team for improvement of the organization’s overall policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters
- Conduct exit interviews, culling and providing analysis of feedback over time
- Stay educated on trends, educate leadership and identify resources and opportunities on an ongoing basis to help create an equitable, inclusive, positive and productive work environment
Benefits Administration, Record Keeping and Reporting
- In coordination with the Director of Finance, work with the benefits administrators on the annual insurance renewals and open enrollment process.
- Ensure compliance with FMLA, ADA and all benefit-related regulations.
- Answer employee’s benefits questions.
- Administer COBRA Benefits and manage current participation in COBRA.
- Enroll employees, process change requests, terminate coverage
- Administer all worker’s compensation benefits, track all active claims, submit claims for processing and communicate necessary information to worker’s compensation insurer.
- Audit and maintain Second Stage Theatre regular and seasonal employees, former employee personnel and medical files.
- Complete EE01 reports and fulfill other Government reporting requirements.
- Respond to employment verification requests.
- Review, update and create organizational policies to ensure compliance.
- Communicate all policies clearly and effectively to staff.
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree in Human Resource Management or MBA equivalent preferred
- 10+ years of experience supporting talent as human resources professional
- Professional Certification preferred: SHRM-SCP, SHRM-CP, PHR or SPHR
- Passion for theater and arts administration
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of HR compliance, benefits administration, records retention, HR policies and procedures and personnel management.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task and time manage effectively.
- Top-notch interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence, a strong and thoughtful communicator – both virtually and in-person
- Ability to act with discretion.
- Keen attention to detail
- Proactive problem-solving skills, flexibility and adaptability to changing situations
- Must be a strong self-starter and project manager with the ability to see projects to their conclusion.
Compensation: Base Salary in the range of $75,000 – $95,000 per year; commensurate with experience
Benefits: Second Stage offers a full benefits package including vacation, medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance and long-term disability coverage upon eligibility.
Second Stage values diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Second Stage, visit www.2st.com.
Job Categories: Other. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, human resources, management, and theatre. States: New York.
Please Share the Director, Human Resources job: