CROCODILE RIVER MUSIC BACKGROUND
Founded in 2011, Crocodile River Music (CRM) brings African music, art, and dance to New England and beyond. Over the past decade, we have worked with over 160,000 students and performed in prestigious venues in and around New England through our concerts, workshops, lectures, and other educational programs. Through our programming, we demonstrate the impact African cultures have had on the world while providing opportunities for emerging and established African artists from across the continent.
Crocodile River Music’s mission is to connect audiences with African artists and cultures through performance and education. We are a diverse group of people committed to presenting African art, music, and culture to audiences of all ages, backgrounds, and capabilities.
Currently a fiscally-sponsored agent of African Community Education, Crocodile River Music is in the process of transitioning to an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. We anticipate formally securing our nonprofit status by fall 2022.
Crocodile River Music aspires to build a diverse team that includes people from traditionally underrepresented groups in our leadership. We strongly encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
For more background on CRM, please visit crocodilerivermusic.com/
THE DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE ROLE
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Development Associate (DA) will serve as a leadership team member and will be an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Crocodile River Music. In partnership with the ED, the successful candidate will be responsible for all fundraising and development activities.
In taking on a brand new role at CRM, the DA will partner with the ED to develop and execute new development strategies. They will help forge new relationships to build CRM’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The DA also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding philanthropic support from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
The DA will have primary responsibility for establishing the infrastructure needed to grow our budget through major gifts, grants, corporate and foundation support. The DA will expand and diversify the organization’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. They will also take on administrative duties related to fundraising, including data management, reporting, and gift processing.
In addition, the DA will work closely with the Board of Directors and development committee and support all Board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
- Support and partner with the ED and Board members on all major fundraising initiatives
- Collaborate with the ED and members of leadership to develop and implement the organization’s development strategy
- Actively work with the ED to identify and cultivate prospects, solicit financial support, and grow a diverse donor base of corporate, foundation, and individual philanthropic investors
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at increasing donor retention
- Have primary responsibility for the development and execution of all grant proposals and reports
- Research and perform outreach to additional funding sources, including local, state, and federal government grants and resources where applicable
- Maintain a current understanding of fundraising trends and best practices, updating the ED and Board member when applicable
- Coach and mentor CRM staff to ensure all team members are effective fundraisers for the organization
- Represent CRM at community and organization events to promote and advance the goals of the organization
- Perform proper database management, gift and pledge processing, and reporting on the progress of the development program
- 3+ years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Demonstrated success in a development role including managing and cultivating relationships with multiple donor sources
- Experience working with and a detailed understanding of donor management systems
- Ability to implement and communicate annual strategic development plans
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build relationships with team members and a wide range of donors
- Ability to take initiative and work independently with a flexible and adaptable approach
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention
- A supporter-focused, donor-centric vision
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at one time
- A strong belief in the mission, values, and work of Crocodile River Music
Compensation and Benefits
We strongly believe in work-life balance for all of our employees and work to achieve this through the accommodation of remote work and a flexible work schedule.
Salary: Up to $60,000, commensurate with experience
Healthcare and PTO: CRM offers a monthly healthcare stipend and competitive paid-time off programs including vacation, holidays, and sick time.
Location & Work Model
The Crocodile River Music office is located in Worcester, MA, with employees currently working in a hybrid home/office model. We welcome the DA to balance their time between home and office as agreed upon with the ED, with the understanding that the ability to travel to the office part of the time is required. In-office work will likely be necessary more often at the beginning of the new employee’s time with the organization.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org .
In your cover letter, please include information on your approach to donor stewardship and how you would contribute to our efforts of being an equitable and inclusive organization.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, culture, dance, development, fund-raising, and music. States: Massachusetts.
Please Share the Development Associate job: