The Contemporary Jewish Museum (The CJM) seeks a Designer to join the Marketing and Communications department, and provide high-quality design and project management support for a wide range of stakeholders across The Museum. As an integral member of the team, this role is responsible for print and digital design projects of varying size, including early concepting, incorporating stakeholder feedback, overseeing production, and communicating with vendors. In addition to providing museum-quality design, this role will also involve project management for the Design team.
Since its founding in 1984, The CJM has distinguished itself as a welcoming place where visitors can connect with one another through dialogue and shared experiences with the arts. Ever changing, The CJM is a non-collecting institution that partners with national and international cultural institutions to present exhibitions that are both timely and relevant, and that represent the highest level of artistic achievement and scholarship.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Conceptualize design communications that engage museum audiences through a range of media including print, environmental graphics, outdoor media, online media, print and digital publications, and in-gallery graphics
- Meet with key stakeholders across the organization to plan the scope and schedule of individual design projects. Communicates those schedules and objectives to supervisor
- With the guidance of the Design Director, ensure that all projects adhere to visual branding guidelines, meet organizational standards, and support The Museum’s mission, core values, and vision
- Provide comprehensive project management for the Design team, defining cross-functional workflows according to project schedules, task assignment, and distribution
- Schedule, bid, produce, and deliver projects within designated budgets and timelines
- Coordinate production and delivery schedules with external vendors
- Meet regularly with the Design Director to ensure all design contributes to a cohesive museum brand
- Attend project meetings as a representative of The CJM’s Design team and communicate project updates to Design Director
- Review proofs for accuracy, attend press-checks, and communicate production issues impacting design, schedule, or budget to the Design Director
- Independently manage all aspects of individual projects, from delivery to implementation, once the Design Director and department directors establish design, production, and budget parameters
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field
- Minimum two years of professional graphic design experience at an agency, design studio, museum, or publication
- Commitment to the mission and core values of The CJM
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience contributing to creative design teams, preferably in a museum, arts and cultural organization, or creative agency
- Thorough understanding of digital design and production platforms, with an emphasis on email and social media marketing and web design
- Project management experience a plus
- Experience building print mechanicals, preferred
- Possess a passion for design
- Articulate, thoughtful, and detail-oriented
- Strong sense of typography, visual design, and branding principles
- Solid portfolio of creative ideas; personal projects welcome
- Strong and effective visual and verbal presentation skills
- Strong listening skills
- Expertise in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Proficiency in Mac OS
- Ability to take direction and work collaboratively with internal and external associates
- Adept at adjusting to changing project scopes, deadlines, and workload
- Ability to prioritize projects and manage time appropriately
Send a cover letter and resume, along with PDF portfolio or link to online portfolio, to:
The Contemporary Jewish Museum
Please indicate “Designer” in the subject line
The Contemporary Jewish Museum is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin or ancestry, age, marital or domestic partner status, sex, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, The CJM will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, design, designer, graphic design, marketing, and museum. States: California.
Please Share the Designer job: