Dean, Trudl Zipper Dance Institute
• Colburn School
• Dean, Trudl Zipper Dance Institute
The Colburn School
Located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, the Colburn School is an internationally recognized leader in performing arts education and is part of the fabric of the Los Angeles cultural community. With a world-renowned faculty, Colburn trains local and international students in four different units: the Colburn Conservatory of Music, the Colburn Community School of Performing Arts (CSPA), the Colburn Music Academy and the Trudl Zipper Dance Institute (TZDI), and is a leader in community engagement through its Center for Innovation and Community Impact.
The Colburn School’s mission is to provide the highest quality performing arts education at all levels of development in an optimal learning environment.
Overview of the Position
Reporting to the Provost, The Dean of the Trudl Zipper Dance Institute is responsible for the vision, mission and managerial oversight of the Youth Dance Program and Dance Academy Program including the artistic, academic, and administrative components.
The Dean is responsible for the recruitment, hiring and assessment of all faculty members as well as the development and implementation of all curricula. The Dean will be responsible for the recruitment of students and will assist in the support of content creation for the promotion and marketing of the dance program. The Dean will provide leadership within the department and will supervise the Associate Dean of Dance, Dance Chairs, faculty, staff and accompanists. The Dean will manage all general faculty and departmental meetings, will counsel parents and students as appropriate, and will teach in the Youth Dance and Dance Academy programs.
Please see full job posting on our website.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
• Excellent time management and organizational skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team with little or no supervision.
• Flexible attitude and approach toward work assignments.
• Able to work under time pressure.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• 10 -15 years of a professional background in dance.
• Ability to implement and follow School policies and procedures.
Desired Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in the arts and/or related professional experience.
• Experience directing a dance school or dance program and providing leadership to staff, faculty and students.
• Affinity and vision for a pre-collegiate student body—guiding students ages 4 -18 and their families through the journey of dance education.
• Affinity for training and coaching vocational pre-professional ballet students (ages 14-18) at the Colburn Dance Academy. Serving as the national and international draw for this program within TZDI.
• Affinity and vision for the city of Los Angeles and how dance can contribute to its cultural development.
• Affinity for administrative work.
• Deep knowledge of music and music education, in order to foster robust collaboration with the other units of the Colburn School and their deans, all of whom are musicians.
• Knowledge of the pedagogy and repertory of George Balanchine, as his ideas have shaped the experience and teaching approach of many of TZDI’s ballet faculty.
• Affinity for fundraising, especially as Colburn is in the midst of a multi-year capital campaign in preparation for a new Frank Gehry-designed facility that includes a state-of-the-art dance school.
Application package to be submitted:
• Cover Letter
• Letter expressing teaching philosophy
Excellent salary and great benefits including medical, dental, life, LTD, 403(b) retirement plan and more!
Apply through our website: www.colburnschool.edu/about-colburn/careers-at-col…↗↗
Job Categories: Education. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts education, dance, dean, management, performing arts, and programming. States: California.
Please Share the Dean, Trudl Zipper Dance Institute job: