Full-Time Dean, School of Art and Design and Division of Performing Arts
The New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred University invites applications for the position of Dean of the School of Art and Design and the Division of Performing Arts:
The School of Art and Design, a NASAD accredited institution, is comprised of nationally and internationally recognized undergraduate and graduate programs. The graduate areas of study are Ceramic Art; Electronic Integrated Art; Sculpture and Dimensional Studies; and Painting (an international program). U.S. News & World Report ranks the Ceramic Art program first in the nation, and the Glass Sculpture program third in the nation. The undergraduate program is comprised of six divisions: Foundations; Drawing, Painting, and Photography; Ceramic Art; Sculpture and Dimensional Studies (mixed media; wood; metal casting and fabrication; paper; installation; environmental art; neon; hot, warm, and cold glass); Expanded Media (sound/video, interactive arts, print media, and integrated design); and Art History.
Performing Arts is a division within Alfred University and administered by the Dean’s office. The Chair of the Division of Performing Arts heads four departments: theater, music, dance, and performance design and technology. This is a new administrative structure and the Chair and faculty of the Division of Performing Arts are currently redefining their mission, vision, strategic plan, and bylaws. This structure enhances collaborative opportunities between Art and Design and Performing Arts. The greater University looks forward to continued program expansion in Performing Arts
The Dean brings leadership in planning, setting priorities, and program development. In addition, the Dean will work closely with faculty in the exploration of new curriculum and multidisciplinary opportunities. Reporting to the Provost & Vice President of Academic Affairs, the Dean will be a strong advocate for the role of Art and Design and Performing Arts. The Dean will foster connections with the University’s other academic units. The Dean is responsible for the School of Art and Design’s academic and budgetary affairs and is separately responsible for the academic and budgetary affairs of the Division of Performing Arts.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide visionary leadership in ensuring excellence in student learning
- Strategize and collaborate across the University for effective planning and utilization of resources
- Work within an environment of shared governance in the development of new programs
- Develop strategies for collaboration in the areas of student recruitment, admissions, retention, finances, and facilities
- Raise the national and international profile of the School of Art and Design and the Division of Performing Arts
- Advocate for institutional support of faculty scholarship, artistic practice, and research
- Actively seek external funding for the units under their leadership
- Promote international programs and linkages
The Dean will foster an inclusive community where all voices and perspectives are not only respected but also considered as critical to a creative culture. The Dean will model cultural competence by participating in ongoing training and professional development opportunities, with the expectation of similar engagement by all professionals within the School of Art & Design and the Division of Performing Arts. The Dean will advocate for diversity in hiring of professionals and recruitment of students.
An earned doctorate or a terminal degree in one of the academic areas represented under the scope of this position. Academic rank of Professor is preferred; open to consideration of excellent candidates with equivalent accomplishments and experience. Administrative experience at the Chair, Assistant/Associate Dean or Dean, or comparable level also is preferred
Other desirable qualifications include:
- Experience with and passion for the role of art & design and performing arts within a global context
- A strong record of teaching at the college level
- Substantial fiscal, budgetary, and fund-raising experience
- Active participation with national and/or international academic or professional organizations
- Commitment to fostering international educational opportunities
- Commitment to faculty agency in developing curriculum
- The capacity to bring individuals and groups with diverse perspectives to consensus and common action
- Effectiveness in person-to-person and group communications with students, faculty, administration and staff
The confidential review of credentials will begin January 20, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled. For full consideration, applicants should submit materials electronically, and include a letter describing interest in and qualifications for the position, a curriculum vitae, and the names, addresses (including email), and telephone numbers for at least five references that may include trustees, administrators, faculty, students, and community leaders.
Alfred University seeks candidates that will further our mission of inclusivity by attracting and retaining people from diverse identities, perspectives, and experiences. Our strategic plan has identified our “inclusivity from the start” as a reflection on our founders’ commitment and our charge for the future, with value placed upon further diversifying faculty and staff.
Alfred University actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee, student or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction status, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Protected veterans, minorities and women are encouraged to apply.Job Categories: Education. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, dean, design, performing arts, recruitment, and school. States: New York.
Please Share the Dean, School of Art and Design and Division of Performing Arts job: