Full-Time Curatorial Assistant
Department: Curatorial Department
Reports to: Curator of Collections
The Curatorial Assistant provides administrative and research support to the Curator of Collections and members of the Senior Curatorial Department.
The role of Curatorial Assistant is a three-year appointment which may be extended beyond its initial ending date.
• Assist and support the Curator of Collections and Curatorial Department in research related to the collection and to specific exhibitions.
• Prepare and disseminate curatorial reports, budget templates, and correspondence.
• Work cooperatively with other departments including, but not limited to, Advancement, Publications, and Conservation, to provide exhibition descriptions, essays, and other materials.
• Research and catalog the Museum permanent collection and archives as they relate to installation and exhibition development and answer related inquiries.
• Assist in research and preparation for potential acquisitions for the collection, including biographical and bibliographical research; maintain files, and communicate with dealers,
galleries, collectors, and artists, as necessary.
• Assist in the maintenance of the collection and loans, and expedite arrangements for custodial, registration, conservation, and preparation work as required in the gallery, study, and storage areas.
• Assist senior curators with all aspects of exhibition research, planning, organization, and realization.
• Write, edit, and assist in the production of Museum publications and other public-facing materials, including exhibition labels and online features.
• Perform exhibition support functions, including bibliographic and checklist research, loan correspondence, publication research and production, website development, and public program planning.
• Function as a liaison with outside persons and organizations, and with other departments within the Museum.
• Answer inquiries and conduct some gallery tours as necessary for visitors and special guests.
• Minimum qualifications: master’s degree in art, art history, or museum studies. Area of concentration in the arts of the ancient Mediterranean (Greek, Roman, Etruscan, Near East) or pre-18th-century European art.
• Minimum of 2 years of museum experience.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail.
• Superior research, writing, and editing skills.
• Ability to prioritize and independently manage workload.
• Motivated self-starter.
• Professional appearance and demeanor.
Salary and benefits competitive and commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume, cover letter, and
writing sample (not to exceed 2,500 words) to:
Director of Human Resources,
The Menil Collection,
1511 Branard Street, Houston, Texas 77006.
Application materials may also be emailed to:
The Menil Collection is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values and encourages a diverse workforce.Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, assistant, curatorial, exhibition, gallery, and museum. States: Texas.
Please Share the Curatorial Assistant job: