Full-Time Curatorial Assistant – Museum
The Curatorial Assistant at The Contemporary Jewish Museum (The CJM) will join a team led by the Executive Director and the Curator that selects and shapes the exhibitions at the Museum. The Curatorial Assistant will report directly to the Curator and support the work of curatorial colleagues; and also interact regularly with the Registrar and Exhibitions Manager, the Chief Preparator and the Creative Services Manager.
Members of the curatorial team work on exhibitions up to three years in advance. The Curatorial Assistant will become familiar with the artwork and detailed planning of future projects to that s/he may effectively assist in their management.
The ideal candidate for this position will thrive in a creative and collaborative environment with experienced professionals who work closely together on exhibitions planning and creative problem solving.
Essential Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Assists curators in the research and organization of exhibitions, including preparation of exhibition checklists using EmbARK database
• Updates and maintains exhibitions schedule documents and department calendar
• Schedules and attends meetings, such as exhibition focused cross-departmental meetings. Creates and distributes meeting notes and action points
• Organizes periodic review of unsolicited exhibition proposals and manages responses
• Arranges for photo documentation of exhibitions
• Sources and assists with licensing of images for exhibitions and publications
• Provides support for publications as requested
• Develops labels for exhibitions
• Updates and maintains exhibition records and files on shared server
• Prepares presentations of planned exhibitions, using PowerPoint or other presentation tools
• Provides exhibitions related information and materials to education, marketing and development teams
• Creates travel itineraries and arranges transportation and accommodation for visiting artists, couriers, and curators
• Assists in preparing assignments for curatorial interns
• Responds to or directs inquiries about exhibitions or departmental matters
• Assists with other administrative tasks as needed
• Bachelor’s degree in Curatorial Practice, Museum Studies, Art History, Studio Art or equivalent subject
• Two+ years of related experience in a gallery or museum
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word), database management and basic Photoshop skills
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of contemporary art and its terminology
• Knowledge of Jewish history and culture desirable
• Ability to prioritize and perform detailed tasks accurately and to meet deadlines
• Proven project management and organizational skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Editorial skills desirable
• Interest in and commitment to the mission of The Contemporary Jewish Museum
• Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends for events
HOW TO APPLY
Send cover letter and resume to:
The Contemporary Jewish Museum Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate “Curatorial Assistant” in the email subject line.
The Contemporary Jewish Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, The CJM will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant, curator, exhibition, and museum. States: California.
Please Share the Curatorial Assistant – Museum job: