Curator of Performing Arts
The Curator of Performing Arts develops signature, site-inspired programs and series that take advantage of Wave Hill’s unique spaces, Armor Hall, and the grounds.
The indoor concert series in Armor Hall presents classical, jazz, Latin, new music, and other genres.
A summer outdoor performance series features a range of music and dance with a Bronx focus.
Performing artists are included in seasonal festival weekends, cultivation events, and special projects.
Work in collaboration with colleagues in the Arts Department on performances that tie into themes related to visual arts exhibitions in the gallery and on the grounds.
Keeping excellence and diversity at the forefront, Wave Hill seeks to be a venue that is known for adventurous performance, utilizing our gardens and grounds as a departure point for work that addresses contemporary ideas related to nature, culture, and site.
The Curator reports to the Director of Arts & Chief Curator and is part of the Arts Department.
- Curate, produce, and administer performing arts programming that focuses on music, but may include dance, spoken word, theater, and special projects
- Develop commissioning opportunities
- Expand partnerships with other cultural institutions, universities, and community organizations.
- Collaborate with the Director of Arts and other Arts Department colleagues on exhibition-themed performance programs, as well as cross-disciplinary projects that encompass visual and performing arts.
- Collaborate with all departments: Visitor Services regarding ticket sales, set-up logistics, and volunteers; Marketing regarding promotion; Public
- Programs to plan joint programming; and Development regarding fundraising
- Provide program reports, statistics, and budgets
- Administrative duties include all communication with selected and prospective artists/agents, contracts, check requests, set-up sheets, calendars, etc.
- Set up all events and space reservations in Wave Hill’s database (Altru).
- Draft content for concert and performance programs information for the web, social media, email, newsletter, press releases, and other promotional materials
- Respond to artist and manager inquiries regarding performing at Wave Hill
At least five years of professional performing arts programming with a focus on music, a broad knowledge of New York City’s cultural community, and experience curating for a cultural institution. The position demands excellent speaking and writing skills, experience managing budgets, a team-oriented approach, as well as the ability to work with the public under pressure. The successful candidate must be confident, creative, flexible, and a well-organized and self-motivated individual who can work independently and as part of a team, balancing multiple projects at once with exceptional attention to detail. A Bachelor’s degree is required. Microsoft Office applications, video conferencing platforms (such as Zoom), and database proficiency are required. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and Altru is a plus.
A three-day work week schedule will be determined, which will include some weekends when there are performances and occasional evenings.
Benefits and Salary:
Major medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K and pension, paid vacation, sick days, and personal days.
The salary range is 33k – 36K – salary is based on experience
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and program samples (such as concert/performance programs, website links to program pages, links to audio or video documentation) using our application portal on SlideRoom: wavehill.slideroom.com/#/permalink/program/62655.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled and only those receiving an interview will be contacted. NO Calls, please.
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Wave Hill is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact email@example.com.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: administration, curator, curatorial, and performing arts. States: New York.
Please Share the Curator of Performing Arts job: