Position: Crating Manager
Status: Full-Time | Exempt | Salaried
Compensation Range: $80,000-$90,000
Reports to: Director of Collection Care
Hours: Mon – Fri, 9:00am – 5:30pm
The Minnesota Street Project (Project), the Minnesota Street Project Foundation (Foundation), and Minnesota Street Project Art Services (Art Services) value a community where everyone can participate in arts and culture and strives to cultivate equity in all of its programs. We value a diverse workforce built upon inclusion, equity, and cultural humility and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We believe that the arts have the power to change hearts and minds, and to inspire social change. We also believe that arts and culture are key elements in creating desirable places to live, learn, work, and visit.
About Minnesota Street Project:
Located in San Francisco’s historic Dogpatch district, the Project is a for-profit enterprise that supports contemporary arts in the Bay Area by providing sustainably below-market rents to artists, art galleries, and arts non-profits and by providing spaces for visiting exhibitions and arts-related programming.
About Minnesota Street Project Foundation:
An affiliate of the Project, the Foundation was created to advance educational and civic programming and provide direct financial support to artists and arts organizations.
About Art Services:
Art Services, founded & headquartered in San Francisco since 2016, is the Bay Area’s fastest growing and most innovative provider of highest quality art storage, installation, packing, crating, transportation, and solutions. Our clients include private collectors, galleries, and institutions who value our emphasis on customer relationships, collection care, and creative problem solving.
100% of our profits are used to support the artists, galleries, and institutions that comprise the Project as well as other arts non-profits and projects in the Bay Area.
Art Services is seeking a full-time Crating Manager with at least 5 years’ experience in crate design and fabrication to open and operate a crate shop in our current facility. The Crating Manager will exhibit a friendly and approachable demeanor with all Project clients, staff, and vendors, acting as a positive ambassador for the Art Services department, as well as the overall Project. This person must value teamwork and have a goal to keep our team and artwork safe. This person will demonstrate understanding of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Access in the arts and in our daily lives, has cultural flexibility/agility, and a commitment to fostering a respectful and inclusive work environment.
- Maintains excellent relationships with clientele and vendors, including collectors, galleries, institutions, consultants, and other arts professionals, ensuring industry-leading client satisfaction.
- Hires, trains, and manages new crate shop staff; develops training materials (to OSHA/company standards) for new and existing staff to follow when in the crate shop.
- Ensures proper security procedures are executed at all times, including opening and closing of the facility on a daily basis. Acts as non-primary security contact for off-hour alarms at Crate Shop location.
- Establishes layout and workflow including additional shop buildout, sourcing storage equipment, and installation.
- Proposes and designs crates along with pricing structure based on our current space and business model.
- Demonstrates and maintains heightened quality assurance and overall professionalism in the warehouse and crate shop at all times.
- Responsible for equipment maintenance tools and materials tracking and ordering.
- Administers reuse/recycling practices and helps to reduce superfluous waste.
- Expertly handles, tracks, and stores artwork throughout the facility in accordance with OSHA and company specifications.
- Schedules and performs site visits as needed to inspect artwork/measure for accurate crating.
- Works cross departmentally to maintain a safe/clean workspace and to establish a workflow for crate ordering based on requested.
- Schedules, plans, and troubleshoots with the Project Management Department for onsite crating jobs related to large sculptures/rigging projects.
- Regularly reviews shop for issues related to sprinklers, pest control and required cleaning and communicates needs to Operations Department.
- Assists with crate packing when needed.
- Attends weekly department meetings, as well as occasional programming events at 1275 Minnesota Street.
- Assists the warehouse staff when needed and performs other related duties as required.
Required Skills, Abilities, and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in an art shipping organization, museum, or gallery; must have first-hand art handling, crate design and production, and expertise of best art handling/packing standards and materials; knowledge of domestic and international shipping preferred.
- Preferred prior experience in a management level position overseeing staff, training, and timelines
- Ability to quickly identify and resolve problems, effectively prioritize, and manage time efficiently, ensuring projects stay on schedule.
- Demonstrated concern for detail, accuracy, and precise execution of work; excellent communication skills, both verbally and written; highly organized.
- Proficient with Mac operating systems and software, including Adobe and Microsoft Suites and Filemaker Pro; knowledgeable with the G Suite, AutoCAD, Sketchup, and CRMs a plus.
Please submit a cover letter and resume titled: Crating Manager-Your Last Name to: email@example.com.
When submitting materials, images of work samples are encouraged.
Thank you for your interest in Minnesota Street Project.
Minnesota Street Project offers a competitive benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, AD&D, Paid Time Off and Parental Leave, Retirement Savings, 401-k Plan, and Pre-Taxed Commuter and Childcare Benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Minnesota Street Project provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: Crating, Fabrication, manager, and recruitment. States: California.
Please Share the Crating Manager job: