Contract Costume Shop Supervisor
COSTUME SHOP SUPERVISOR AT BAY STREET THEATER
Bay Street Theater & the Sag Harbor Center for the Arts is a year-round, not-for-profit professional theater and community cultural center which endeavors to innovate, educate, and entertain a diverse community through the practice of the performing arts. We serve as a social and cultural gathering place, an educational resource, and a home for a community of artists. Bay Street Theater (BST) strives to be a home to the East End’s performing arts community, as well as a professional LORT summer theater festival. The BST mainstage season features the mounting of 3-4 full theatrical or musical productions, weekly comedy events and musical concerts, Bay Street Under the Stars annual outdoor production, an annual fundraising Gala, an intern produced performance, arts education workshops and camps for children, Goat on a Boat puppet theater performances, and much more. Check out Bay Street’s website for more info about this season’s programming: www.baystreet.org.
Costume Shop Supervisor (CSS) is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the costume shop, which includes the areas of costumes, wigs, and makeup, along with overseeing wardrobe supervision for the run and maintenance of all performances. Management of the costume shop includes, but is not limited to, organizing and maintaining personnel, draping and construction, equipment, supplies, inventory, workroom/costume storage areas, and costume rentals. This position is responsible for maintaining expense budgets, communicating closely with designers and design assistants, and hiring and supervising costume shop personnel. The CSS will act as the team leader that supports all costume related functions to ensure that productions come in on-time and on-budget. This position requires regular evening and weekend work in conjunction with BST’s performance calendar.
This salaried position reports to the Production Manager and General Manager. The CSS position will begin work with limited coordination (remotely) in Spring 2019 as needed and is on-site, full-time in Sag Harbor, NY ideally from May 6, 2019 – September 8, 2019. Housing is provided for the duration of on-site work. The CSS directly oversees the Assistant Costume Supervisor and 3 Costume/Wardrobe Interns. The fee is $750/week.
The CSS’s general responsibilities will include:
– Work with General Manager and Production Manager to interview and hire Wardrobe Supervisor and intern staffing of the costume shop.
– Set up costume shop and wardrobe areas for beginning of season, communicating with Production Manager regarding any general shop and supplies needs.
– Restore costume shop at the end of the season, including updating the stock item inventory and re-stocking general supplies and materials.
– Guide and supervise the overall educational experience of Wardrobe Interns through regular feedback and three individual review sessions over the course of the season.
– Supervise all costume shop, wardrobe, wig, and makeup personnel.
– Consult closely with Designers and Design Assistants on the draping and construction of costumes to ensure design completion and labor efficiency.
– Oversee the rental process for rental costumes including restoration, cleaning, and return at the conclusion of each show.
– Determine and meet costume/wardrobe deadlines in conjunction with Production Manager and production schedule.
– Attend all fittings to ensure consistency and construction standards.
– Manage the budget and accounting of costume/wardrobe related expenditures including collection and coding of all receipts and invoices.
– Works directly with Costume Designers to balance budget necessities, feasibility, and design integrity.
– Report regularly to General Manager and Production Manager regarding budget tracking progress and concerns.
– Oversee all returns in a timely fashion.
– Attend tech rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and previews for notes.
– Communicate regularly with Production Stage Manager regarding fittings, rehearsal needs, and performer requests.
– Oversee the wardrobe crew and costume maintenance of all Mainstage and supplemental productions for costumes, wigs, and makeup during run.
– Attend all necessary production meetings as determined by the Production Manager.
– Oversee costume, wardrobe, and soft good needs for other summer season programs including Music Mondays, Bay Street Under the Stars readings, the New Works Festival, and others special events/projects.
– Oversee and support the design and execution of the Wardrobe Intern’s contribution to the Intern Production.
– The CSS must bring their own computer to manage projects.
– Candidates should be self-motivated, have a positive attitude, work safely, efficiently, and quickly and exhibit professional behavior at all times.
– Strong organizational skills are required with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with occasional non-traditional hours.
– Must have the ability to lift 50 lbs., climb ladders, and work in high places.
– Ideal candidate would have a valid driver’s license and vehicle.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email cover letter and resume PDF’s to Mike Billings, Production Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please make sure to include “BST 2019 Costume Shop Supervisor” in the subject line. Please no phone calls.
May 6, 2019 – September 8, 2019
Please Share the Costume Shop Supervisor job: