Full-Time Costume Design/ Customer Assistant Professor
Beloit College Department of Theatre, Dance, and Media Studies seeks a Costume Designer/Costumer beginning Fall 2018.
This position provides costume designs for departmental theatre and dance productions, manages the costume shop, hires, trains, and supervises student workers, and keeps track of the costume shop budget.
The individual will also teach classes relevant to the study of theatre costumes and advise students within the department.
This position will design costumes or oversee student designs for five productions (theatre and dance) over the academic year. Costume designs include research, design presentation and realization of costume production, working within a defined budget for all costume shop student employees and supplies. They/Them will also serve with other department members on our season selection committee.
Credentials and experience:
• MFA with emphasis on Costume Design
• Experience and knowledge to create and produce designs for production in a range of periods and styles.
• Experience in shop management, costume construction, draping, pattern making, and millinery.
A successful candidate for this position will have the:
• Ability to develop, and to contribute to, learning and work environments welcoming to people from a variety of backgrounds and experiences.
• Ability to understand and appreciate the mission of a residential, liberal arts college and to work and collaborate positively with faculty, staff, students, alums, and the general public in a variety of situation.
• Ability to supervise and train student employees including organizing, prioritizing and scheduling work assignments.
• Experience in college teaching preferred
• Research that values interdisciplinary process and diverse perspectives preferred.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
Applications will be accepted until April 24th. Applicants should email the following materials to BCcostume2018@beloit.edu
• Cover letter
• Contact information for three professional references
• Sample portfolio that demonstrates costume design and production. Please submit as a PDF of up to 6 standard pages.
Apply for this Job