Full-Time Coordinator of College & Career Programs
The ideal candidate will have prior college and financial aid advising experience, specifically with first-generation students and families and young people from disinvested schools and communities.
They will demonstrate the ability to build relationships with young people and families.
The Coordinator will possess an asset-based approach and equity framework to partner with young people as they design their vision of their future and the steps it will take to get there.
- Status: Full-time, salaried position (exempt employee)
- Job Type: Permanent
- Benefits: Yes
- Reports to: Associate Manager of College & Career Programs
Marwen educates and inspires young people. We provide year-round, out-of-school visual arts, college planning, and career development programs to students from nearly every neighborhood in Chicago. The tuition-free programs engage nearly 900 6th – 12th graders annually.
The 8-studio facility is in River North at 833 North Orleans. Teaching Artists and Education Staff utilize the tools of creative youth development to facilitate courses in a wide range of disciplines, including painting, drawing, sculpture, ceramics, photography, animation, fashion design, and mixed media. For more information, visit marwen.org
College & Career Programs
- Work in close collaboration with the Associate Manager of College & Career Programs to develop resources, plan programs, provide support for career development initiatives, and advance overall department goals
- Develop workshops with an emphasis on understanding high school options for middle school students, SAT preparation, post-secondary options, the college application process, and financial aid
- Coordinate 2 departmental public events: the annual College Fair and annual Career Fair
- Organize college visits to local and Midwest post-secondary schools during CPS’s Spring Break and throughout the year
- Introduce new programming to support young people’s multiple post-secondary pathways
Secondary & Post-Secondary Advising
- Provide individualized advising to young people and their families with a focus on navigating the CPS high school application process, the college application process, and other post-secondary plans
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with students and families
- Work with the Associate Manager of College & Career Programs and the Studio Programs team to integrate college and career planning into all aspects of Marwen programming
- Support career advising services to alumni regarding career development, post-secondary education, and transferring options
- Provide a welcoming presence and build relationships consistently during program hours with young people, staff, teaching artists, and families.
- Create and maintain resources and materials for young people and families including SAT prep, post-secondary options, the college application process, portfolio development, and financial aid
- Track and maintain detailed records of student advising and student’s individual college application process and/or future plans
- Study and analyze reports on college admission, retention, and advising trends and statistics
- Partner with the education team to make visible college and career programming during Marwen events such as orientations and exhibitions and teaching artist professional development opportunities
The ideal candidate will have:
- A background working directly with young people, especially young people who identify as youth of color, queer or LGBTQI, newcomers, first-generation immigrants, and neurodivergent
- Extensive knowledge of post-secondary options, pathways, the financial aid process, and resources
- Experience building relationships with students and families and connecting students to secondary and post-secondary opportunities
- Interest in students’ artistic growth and arts education; extensive knowledge of the visual arts and portfolio development is not required
- Willingness and ability to work consistent program hours, which include evenings and weekends
- Detail-oriented with exceptional organizational and planning skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks efficiently
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to perform and maintain data entry
- Strong interest in non-profit program development
- Preferred fluency in Spanish, both verbal and written
Marwen is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and equity in the workplace. We strongly encourage those who reflect our communities to apply, including bilingual individuals, LGBTQI+ and/or people of color. Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Coordinator of College & Career Programs.” The deadline for submissions is September 1, 2019. No phone calls, please.
c is committed to offering a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience and includes full health benefits, generous PTO and 401k.
Please Share the Coordinator of College & Career Programs job: