Part-Time Collections Assistant
Collections Assistant- Part Time
3 days/wk- 21 hrs
Manpower Inc in White Plains, NY is seeking a Collections Assistant to provide overall support for the care and preservation of a diverse collection of fine and decorative arts at a prominent historic house museum with surrounding sculpture gardens and several estate outbuildings.
Job duties consist of the following:
• Manage object image files and their integration into the database.
• Assist in monitoring environmental conditions of museum and art storage spaces.
• Periodically assist in preparing condition reports for objects in the collection.
• Assist with scheduled inventories of the collection.
• Process occasional incoming and/or outgoing loans.
• Catalogue and photograph secondary collections and affix numbers to objects at assembled buildings on the estate.
• Facilitate and supervise visits of conservators, photographers, or other contractors working on the collection.
• Ensure that collections, signage, and installation/exhibition spaces are in proper condition for public visitation (May-November).
• Produce labels for the collections (as needed).
• Occasionally assist with the reorganizing and rehousing of collections in storage.
• Provide overall administrative support including filing, invoice processing, monthly expense reports, and acquiring or ordering collections supplies.
• Conduct special tours as requested.
• Facilitate visits of outside researchers.
• Respond to photo/image reproduction requests.
• Assist at special events and programs, especially a seasonal series of learning opportunities for the public.
• Perform other related duties as requested by the manager of collections & curatorial projects.
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge in the history of fine and decorative arts related to the collections.
- Familiarity with best practices and current AAM standards for object care and maintenance, and in monitoring, administering and assessing conservation and restoration projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to be consistently diplomatic, tactful, and professional, and to interact effectively with all levels of staff, guests, and other external parties.
- Administrative and general office skills. Particularly, strong knowledge of and ability to use computer technology to efficiently accomplish work, using e-mail, the Internet, database management software, and Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Basic documentary photography and post-production skills.
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical and organizational skills. Ability to draft original correspondence.
Education and Experience
- B.A. in art history, museum studies, or a related field, with three years of related experience.
- Advanced degree in a related field with two years related experience.
- Experience with the collections of an historic house.
- Art handling skills preferred.
- Computer skills/database experience required.
Please submit cover letter with resume
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: administration, assistant, management, museum, and non-profit. States: New York.
Please Share the Collections Assistant job: