Full-Time Backstage Manager
The Backstage Manager works the show and helps with daily production issues, assisting the Production Stage Manager by being on headset during the show, assists with rehearsals, oversees and performs all stage moves, including operation of a motorized zip-lift during aerial performances, does simple prop repairs, preshow sets and ensures that all artists have the necessary props during the performance and keeps the backstage and stage area’s clean and in good working condition.
Teatro ZinZanni Chicago presents a full evening of entertainment, combining cirque artists, European cabaret, contortionists, jugglers and illusionists with live music and a gourmet multi-course meal. Set in an antique jewel box tent imported from Belgium, our newest show will open in July 2019.
Responsibilities and Duties: Prep days before rehearsal
- Tape out a rehearsal room when necessary
- Load in the props and scenic elements
- Fulfill basic winch and aerial act training
- Prepare the working tracking sheet of props and prop perishables
- Become acutely familiar with the site and location
- Prepare rehearsal each day for what is being scheduled to rehearse
- Keep daily notes on the production needs from rehearsal and apply them to the production paperwork for the run of the show
- Call all artists for rehearsal
- Track all restaurant notes
- Enter notes in the daily Rehearsal Notes document
- Attend daily Production Meetings, read through Rehearsal Notes and amend them as needed with input from design team
- Clean up rehearsal space and lock up and secure the rehearsal spaces each night
- Attend Paper Tech
- Work with fellow production staff to organize all scenic elements, hand props, costumes and backstage areas in a safe and organized way
- Prepare the orders for the rehearsal food and assist in organizing and clearing rehearsal food as needed
- Prepare the production paperwork for going into tech including the restaurant sheets
- Keep track of creative team, artists and production team
- Create a positive working environment for the tech process
- Train the restaurant staff in the technical needs for the show in a safe and positive working environment
- Create a healthy and productive working relationship with the restaurant managers and staff
- Create a healthy and productive working relationship with all staff and cast
- Report to the PSM after each show any notes from the cast, restaurant or production staff that have come up during the show
- Run and maintain show as built by the creative team
- Keep everyone on schedule for rehearsals and warm-ups on show nights.
- Help create a healthy and positive work environment for the run of the show
- Coordinate with restaurant the opening of the tent each night
- Facilitate all performer warm up needs
- Responsible for purchase of consumables and backstage supplies
- Repair and Maintain any scenic element or prop that is needed for the show during the show, as possible. Keep production notes up to date regarding prop repairs and maintenance.
- Work with PSM to adjust the show if needed.
- Work with the PSM to lead an evacuation and emergency plan
- Perform or delegate all manipulation and storage of scenery and props inside venue including cleaning, maintenance, spike marks, safety checks
- With restaurant management, lock up and secure the site each night
- Attend weekly production meetings
- Keep track of BSM production paperwork and have the most current on hand in case of emergency and for archive purposes at the end of the run. Continue to give an updated copy to the Production Stage Manager
- Able to operate the winch for nightly performances and train others in its operation
- Have fun and be able to enjoy the environment you work in
Essential minimum skills, education, and experience:
- Must perform in a professional manner at all times, maintaining a positive attitude and providing positive public relations
- Able to be present and on time for meetings, rehearsal and show calls.
- Able to provide timely completion of duties: meet deadlines. Knows when to issue request for assistance
- Ability to work and communicate well with all types of staff utilizing voicemail, email, computers, and copiers.
- Ability to work well under pressure and be able to meet deadlines while maintaining a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to utilize fine and gross motor skills consistently accurately
- Considerable ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups of various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Respectful of the rights of others
- 3 years professional stage crew experience
- Excellent organizational skills
- Able to communicate verbally in a stressful situation
- Calm presence
- Works well collaborating with people
- Ability to lead others
- Excellent eye for detail
- Knowledge of technical production
- Exceptional hand-eye coordination, fine, and gross motor skills
- Ability to articulate, communicate and solve problems
- Good computer knowledge in Word and Excel
- Able and willing to work additional hours when asked
- Able to lift 60 lbs.
Works in a performance environment. Position deals directly with the cast, band, and restaurant staff and customers. Basic schedule is Wednesday through Sunday.
Basic workday is: 3:30pm to 11:00pm with some flexibility for added or subtracted performance or work calls.
Saturdays and Sundays are two show days. Typical work week consists of 5 shows. Additional shows will be run by BSMs and BSM subs. Days off will be determined by the PSM. Though the primary schedule can change due to show calendar revisions/ticket sales, a consistent work week will be established by the PSM. Changeovers and holiday season may require additional hours and/or days.
Please go to https://zinzanni.com/jobs/#Chicago for more information
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: entertainment, manager, stage, and theatre. States: Illinois.
Please Share the Backstage Manager job: