Associate Technical Director
• Job Title: Associate Technical Director
• Department: Production
• Reports To: Technical Director
• Location: Berkeley/Richmond
• Position Type: Full Time
• Schedule: 40 hours a week M-F; occasional weekend work as needed and scheduled in advance
• Salary: Salary available upon request
• Start Date: September 2021
About Bay Area Children’s Theatre:
Bay Area Children’s Theatre is California’s foremost theatre company for young audiences. Over the last 18 years, our award-winning shows and educational programs have reached over 600,000 children. Bay Area Children’s Theatre anchors all of our programming in the process of learning creative thinking through storytelling, imagination, collaboration, self expression, and critical analysis and feedback. We are proud to provide access to programs to all Bay Area Families and strive to provide an inclusive environment for all who come to play. Bay Area Children’s Theatre is actively working to become an anti-racist organization and we are committed to diversity in all areas of our work.
Bay Area Children’s Theatre strives to inspire young audiences with imaginative productions, introduce children of all backgrounds to the excitement of live theatre, and create an engaging, entertaining, and educational environment in which children and their families can explore and enjoy the arts.
Assist the technical director in the planning and execution of all builds and needs of Bay Area Children’s Theatre. The Associate Technical Director also works closely with the Director of Production and Production Manager to ensure successful load-ins, load-outs, set implementation, and storage of show materials.
The duties of the Associate TD include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in the building and execution of all builds and shop projects
- Assist in basic painting for Onstage and Academy Program.
- Perform major repairs on site for productions as needed; perform minor repairs and preventative maintenance on equipment
- Assist in initial build needs for new performing spaces
- Attend tech rehearsals as needed
- Maintain a safe working environment at all times
- Perform minor repairs on site as needed
- Assist TD with shop maintenance
- Assist with maintaining the safety and cleanliness of the scene shop, prop storage, and theatre storage areas and other production spaces, as well as the associated systems and vehicles
- Assist in acquiring necessary materials for all shop projects
- Maintain organization in the shop and other theater spaces
- Drive vehicles as needed – making yourself available for load-ins and strikes of Onstage and Academy Program
- Serve as crew for all load-ins and strikes for Onstage and Academy Program
- Execute notes during tech for all shows as assigned by Technical Director
- Help with basic repairs at all BACT spaces.
- Help plan, develop, schedule and provide the technical support needed for each production
- Help design immersive spaces for Onstage performances
*Many Positions in theatre overlap and it is not unusual to be asked to perform a task not listed in this position description. This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties and working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job; however, management may revise the job tasks based on business needs including emergencies, staffing needs and workload.
Ideal candidates will:
- Have a minimum of 1-2 years experience in professional or equivalent university setting working with and assembling scenic elements or the willingness to learn necessary skills
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Have strong time management skills and the ability to work independently and with a team
- Be comfortable working in a fast-paced, creative, collaborative environment
- Remain calm under pressure
- Have strong problem-solving skills
- Have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
- Be comfortable driving a 26-foot truck
- Be able to lift 50 pounds
Full time Exempt with benefits
Please send a cover letter and résumé to Frances Hughes, Director of Production, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Associate Technical Director.
Bay Area Children’s Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and seeks workforce diversity with respect to race, ethnicity, culture, gender, age, sexual orientation, and physical abilities.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: carpentry, director, scenicpainting, Set Design, technical director, technical theatre, and theatre. States: California.
Please Share the Associate Technical Director job: