Full-Time Associate Director of Production
Job Title: Associate Director of Production
Reports To: Director of Production
Status: Full-Time (37.5 hours per week)
Work Schedule: Will include evenings & weekends
Direct Reports: None
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is one of the nation’s most innovative contemporary art centers. From our leading-edge exhibitions and performances, to our groundbreaking civic initiatives and community partnerships, YBCA is where creativity, people, and new ideas collide. We believe in thinking big about the role that arts organizations can play in making short, medium, and long-term/individual and collective transformation.
Mission: We generate culture that moves people.
Vision: A community that thrives on inspiration.
The successful candidate will embody our organization’s core values:
- Abundance: We operate from a place of strength, with a spirit of empathy and generosity.
- Authentic Collaboration: We are engaged and interconnected.
- Personal Agency: We are empowered and accountable.
- Boldness: We create with courage and purpose.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Production Department at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts offers consultation, referrals and services for all types of presentations including YBCA-curated and Community performances, as well as Commercial Rentals and special events. We work with each event’s production and design team for the success of their project, including evaluating technical needs, providing production cost estimates, and the hiring and management of additional technical staff and resources.
Under the guidance of Director of Production, the Associate Director of Production (ADP) provides leadership within the department and company as a key contributor to company wide presentations and projects. The ADP manages technical equipment purchasing budget and drives technical equipment acquisitions with team of technicians. The ADP stays informed of any advancements in theatrical technologies. In the absence of the Director of Production, the ADP will act as the department lead.
- Lead production contact for assigned YBCA Presents Artistic Presentations, Commercial and Community Rentals as well as internal YBCA events.
- Oversee the operation, maintenance and safeguards of all theatrical systems operated at YBCA.
- Plan short and long-term purchases, upgrades, maintenance, and other special equipment and facility technical projects.
- Maintain technical specification records and electronic packages for YBCA Theater and Forum.
- Establish and maintain productive and cooperative relationships with other YBCA departments as well as artists, clients and vendors.
- Serve as resource for external and YBCA event planners in projecting events within YBCA’s facilities.
- Working with the Director of Production, forecast, develop and manage the department’s budget.
- Provide leadership in the analysis of past practices, identifying and developing new ways to continuously improve the work and efficiency of the department.
- Analyze technical and production needs, develop cost estimates, labor schedules, allocate internal and external resources and provide overall management on YBCA productions
- Oversee production process including attending planning meetings, implementing and integrating agreed upon production needs to our facilities and resources.
- Responsible for adherence to production budgets for all productions as assigned
- Advise, coordinate and enforce YBCA facility use and safety policies and regulation, including IATSE labor agreement with visiting designers, technical personnel, and/or independent contractors.
- Manage and supervise YBCA and IATSE Local 16 technical staff on events and productions.
- Generate and maintain comprehensive production files (including but not limited to: initial contact records, production expense estimates, event information sheets, technical run sheets, production plans, set-up diagrams and CAD drawings, final expenditures, and other information pertinent to each project).
- Participate in YBCA meetings and events.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Theater, Production, or similar field of study
- At least 10 years successful production management and technical direction experience.
- Excellent organizational skills, with particular attention to detail
- Vector Works, Lightwright, and Microsoft Office proficiency
- Knowledge of theatrical systems, including lighting, sound, rigging, AV/Video, etc.
- Experience with Theatrical Unions
- Capacity to manage multiple tasks under pressure of deadlines
- Experience developing and managing budgets
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in partnership with people of diverse cultural backgrounds
- Flexibility to work variable schedules, including days, evenings, and weekends
- Interest and willingness to work alongside contemporary works of art and performances which present challenging and provocative subject matter.
PTO, Holiday Pay, Paid Time for Volunteer Work, Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, Group Life and AD&D Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance, Voluntary Life and AD&D, Employee Assistance Program, Travel Assistance, and ability to participate in the 403(b) Retirement Plan. Free/member admission, member discounts at shops, & potential discounts on concert/lecture tickets at participating North American Reciprocal Museum institutions with your YBCA badge.
How to Apply
Send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirement to email@example.com
Please include “ADP” and your name in the subject line of your email.
Please, no phone calls or faxes—really. While we love your enthusiasm, due to the volume of applications and our limited resources, we will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. If you receive our automated thank you, we have received your resume and there is no need to follow up.
Principals only. We do not accept resumes from third parties and we will not pay fees to any agency or firm. Any unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of YBCA and will be processed accordingly.
We wish you the best of luck in your job search!
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is committed to diversity in its programming and in creating a work culture and environment that is reflective of San Francisco Bay Area demography. YBCA encourages and actively recruits applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.
YBCA will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, arts center, associate, director, and production. States: California.
Please Share the Associate Director of Production job: