Full-Time Associate Curator – Exhibitions
The Studio Museum in Harlem is the nexus for artists of African descent locally, nationally and internationally and for work that has been inspired and influenced by black culture. It is a site for the dynamic exchange of ideas about art and society.
The Associate Curator, Exhibitions will serve a key leadership role in the curatorial department. As the Museum prepares for a significant expansion ahead of its 50th anniversary, the Associate Curator, Exhibitions will assume primary responsibility for the execution and continued articulation of the department’s strategic vision.
The ideal candidate will be equipped to think broadly and innovatively about the Museum’s artist centered mission, while independently managing a wide range of administrative responsibilities. A principal focus will be the long term planning and oversight of the Museum’s Exhibition programming.
The Associate Curator must be comfortable in a collaborative, experimental and culturally diverse setting and possess the openness, flexibility and diplomacy required for meaningful collaboration with contemporary artists. This position will be a peer to the existing Associate Curator, Permanent Collection and will work collaboratively to oversee the Curatorial Department jointly to the Chief Curator.
• With the Associate Curator, Permanent Collection; supervise curatorial staff, including the department’s Curatorial Assistant, Exhibition Coordinator and Curatorial Fellows
• Conduct original research and organize exhibitions
• Produce didactic texts and exhibition related publications
• Manage exhibition budgets and the exhibition calendar
• Spearhead numerous projects related to the Museum’s Exhibitions
• Collaborate across multiple departments, including the Director’s Office, Registrar, Communications, Community Engagement and Public Programs, Education, Development, Finance and Information Technology
• Engage multiple audiences and stakeholders, both internal and external, across a variety of platforms while cultivating and maintaining relationships with a diverse constituency of artists, trustees, members of the press, professional associations and local non-profit organizations
• Other duties as assigned
• Strong background in contemporary art by artists of African descent required
• Must have an international knowledge of the current art scene, including important emerging talent and be an active figure in the cultural community
• Must be able to speak and write persuasively on the role of culturally specific institutions in the museum field
• Master’s degree in Art History, with an emphasis on mid-century to Contemporary Art, American Art and/or African-American Art, history or culture. Advanced degree preferred
• Minimum of 3-5 years’ curatorial experience in a museum setting
• Supervisory experience and demonstrated project management skills
• Exceptional communication skills with excellent speaking, writing and research abilities
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Salary commensurate with experience, skills and knowledge.
Please note that while careful consideration will be given to each submission, the Museum will only be able to contact those applicants whose knowledge, skills and work experience best fit the requirements of the position.
No phone calls or faxes, please.
All applications must be received by 5pm, June 1.
The Studio Museum in Harlem is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, gender identification, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.
HOW TO APPLY
• Cover letter summarizing the applicant’s most relevant work experience, educational background and familiarity with art by artists of African descent as well as the candidate’s sense of their own potential contribution to the Museum and its mission
• Three writing samples:
Two samples should focus on artists of African descent or artworks by an artist African descent active between 1970 to
• The names, titles and contact information of three professional references able to speak to the candidate’s skills, experience, character and commitment
Please forward application materials in one PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The subject line of the email should include the applicant’s name and the position for which they are applying (e.g. “Applicant’s Name–Associate Curator, Exhibitions”)
Please Share the Associate Curator – Exhibitions job: