Full-Time Assistant to Chair & Research Assistant (Architecture and Design)
The Art Institute of Chicago, founded in 1879, is a world-renowned art museum housing one of the largest permanent collections in the United States. An encyclopedic museum, the Art Institute collects, preserves, and interprets works in every medium from all cultures and historical periods. With a collection of approximately 300,000 art works and artifacts, the museum has particularly strong holdings in Impressionist and Post-Impressionist painting, contemporary art, early 20th century European painting and sculpture, Japanese prints, and photography. The museum’s 2009 addition, the Modern Wing, features the latest in green museum technology and 264,000 square feet dedicated to modern and contemporary art, photography, architecture and design, and new museum education facilities. In addition to displaying its permanent collection, the Art Institute mounts more than 30 special exhibitions per year and features lectures, gallery tours, and special performances on a daily basis
- General administrative assistance to support the Chair of Architecture and Design (A+D).
- Manages the Chair’s calendar and travel needs.
- Undertakes research for lectures and presentations given by the Chair (including obtaining images, fact-checking, and project research).
- Prepares PowerPoint presentations for both internal and external lectures and presentations.
- Assists with research and checklist preparation for exhibitions and collection rotations.
- Assists with research for images and caption information for catalogues.
- Drafts and edits labels, justifications, and writing for other projects with the Chair.
- Assists Collections and Exhibitions Manager in preparing for and following up on A+D Society and A+D Committee meetings in terms of new acquisitions, including acknowledgment letters and acquisition paperwork.
- Works with Public Affairs to manage press requests, providing images and information as necessary
- Orders, purchases, and submits invoices for department items.
- Completes and submits gift processing forms for financial gifts.
- Attends meetings on behalf of the Chair when necessary, reports back, and works with the Chair on determining and facilitating next steps.
- Assists with onboarding new A+D staff members
- Works with A+D Society Program Coordinator for program/event preparation and logistics.
- Coordinates with other departments across the museum in support of A+D goals and initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in the History of Art, Arts Administration or related field, preferred.
- Experience with program support and planning.
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal, organizational, and research skills required, as well as knowledge of Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to flexibly adapt to changing departmental needs, manage detailed information, and meet regular deadlines while managing multiple projects.
Please Share the Assistant to Chair & Research Assistant (Architecture and Design) job: