Assistant Professor/Technical Theatre Director
Southeastern Oklahoma State University department of Art, Communication, & Theatre invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor/Technical Theatre Director.
The Assistant Professor/Technical Theatre Director is a tenure track position which includes teaching as well as technical and design duties with the Theatre at Southeastern production season.
- Teach courses in technical theatre; the course load is two courses per fall and spring with option to teach a course in summer, when available.
- Provides hands-on training in various aspects of technical theatre including rigging, woodworking, shop safety, and other areas of stagecraft, as well as demonstrate experience in lighting and theatrical sound production.
- Supervises/advises Theatre Technical students in practicum involving stage carpentry, rigging, scenic carpentry, props, etc., emphasizing safe practices.
- Evaluates performance of Technical Theatre students.
Technical Theatre Director
- Supervises and executes the designing, engineering, and pricing of Theatre at Southeastern productions in coordination with Director of Theatre.
- Supervises and executes the safe building, set-up, running and strikes of all Theatre at Southeastern events in the Visual and Performing Arts Center, Montgomery Auditorium, and the Playhouse in coordination with the Director of Theatre and Facilities Manager.
- Supervises or executes scenic, lighting, sound, and properties designs for major university events during the academic year in coordination with the Director of Theatre and Facilities Manager.
- Supervises/advises Theatre Technical students in practicum involving stage carpentry, rigging, scenic carpentry, props, etc.
- Supervises students and junior staff on crew calls for Theatre at Southeastern
- Organize, inventory, repair and maintain Theatre at Southeastern equipment and facilities.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- M.F.A. in Theatre or Theatre Design.
- Advanced knowledge of stage carpentry, sound, and theatrical lighting.
- Experience in one or more of the following: welding, advanced theatrical painting techniques, digital sound editing (SFX), drafting.
- Experience with one or more of the following: Adobe Creative Suite, Vector Works, Final Cut Pro, Audacity, or other digital design or drafting programs.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and climb ladder.
- Organization of human, financial, facility, and material resources.
- Demonstrated experience in theatrical design, lighting design, sound operation.
- College Teaching Experience
- Professional Design Experience
- .50 Assistant Professor
- .50 Technical Theatre Director
Founded in 1909 as a teacher college, Southeastern Oklahoma State University continues the strong tradition of producing outstanding educators for southeast Oklahoma and north Texas. Student enrolls approximately 5,000 students and the campus is situated in rural Oklahoma. The main campus is located in Durant, Oklahoma, which is 80 miles north of Dallas, Texas, and 150 miles southeast of Oklahoma City. The community is close to Lake Texoma and the Choctaw Casino Resort. Southeastern Oklahoma State University continues to be among the nation’s most affordable universities according to the U. S. News & World Report’s America’s Best colleges.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The preferred start date is January 1, 2022. Review of applications will begin November 1, 2021 and continue until filled. Position and responsibilities may require multiple campus assignments as well as varied time and delivery methods.
Employment is contingent upon the results of a national criminal and sex offender background check. Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
How to Apply
To apply send a completed application for faculty employment, letter of interest stating position desired (Assistant Professor/Technical Theatre Director), curriculum vitae and unofficial transcripts or e-copies from each institution of higher education attended (If selected, official transcripts from each degree-granting institution will be required upon date of hire) to:
Southeastern Oklahoma State University
Human Resources, Administration Building 309
425 W. University Blvd.
Durant, OK 74701
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SE participates in E-Verify.
SE is an AA/EEO employer committed to multicultural diversity.
Job Categories: Education and Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant professor, director, Faculty, Set Design, technical theatre, and university. States: Oklahoma.
Please Share the Assistant Professor/Technical Theatre Director job: