Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts – Department of Fine & Performing Arts
• Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts – Department of Fine & Performing Arts: York College/CUNY
• Job ID: 23731
• Location: York College
• Full/Part Time: Full-Time
• Regular/Temporary: Regular
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Teaching Faculty perform research and guidance duties in area(s) of expertise. They share responsibility for committee and department assignments including administrative, supervisory, and other functions.
York College, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY) and located in the NYC borough of Queens, invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts (Scenic, Lighting, and/or Costume Design and Technical Theatre). Duties include teaching core and elective courses, creative and/or scholarly activity, student advisement, assessment, and active participation in departmental and college committees. Applicants will also be responsible for designing departmental productions, supervision of facilities and equipment, and mentoring students in design and technical theatre.
This position requires:
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in theatre design or a related area
- Teaching experience commensurate with the assistant professor rank
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leadership and/or administrative roles within a university or college setting
The following are qualifications that are highly preferred:
- Evidence of substantial professional experience in lighting, scenic and/or costume design, and refined non-digital and/or digital design techniques (e.g.: hand drafting, model-making, Vectorworks, AutoCAD, Photoshop, and 3D-modeling/visualization)
- One or more years of professional experience and membership in professional theatrical organizations such as IATSE, USA, USITT, etc.
- A secondary area of design expertise
- Competent knowledge of basic lighting, sound design, set construction (carpentry, metalwork, foam), scenic painting, rigging and safety protocols.
- Must have experience using a variety of teaching methods and curricular perspectives that address matters of diversity and inclusion
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit a cover letter, CV/resume, teaching and research philosophy statements, and contact information for three references (email and telephone).
Please upload all materials as ONE DOCUMENT in doc, pdf, or rtf format.
You may only apply online through the CUNY.edu job board.
- Please go to www.CUNY.edu, go to the Employment drop-down menu and click the ‘Search Job Postings’ tab.
Filter by Job Location by clicking on York College. The title of this position is Assistant Professor- Theater Arts: Job ID #23731
- Click the ‘Apply Now’ tab and follow the prompts from there, including creating an account or logging into a previously created account.
York College/CUNY is an EEO/AA/IRCA/ADA Employer.
This posting will close on June 6, 2022.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts education, assistant professor, Fine Arts, performing arts, and teaching. States: New York.
Please Share the Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts – Department of Fine & Performing Arts job: