Assistant Professor of Arts Administration Search, Tenure Track
Howard University’s Department of Theatre Arts invites applications for a full-time, 9-month faculty tenure-track position beginning Fall semester 2021.
Howard University’s Department of Theatre Arts is dedicated to the continued growth and development of theatre professionals and scholars by training competent industry competitive individuals in the fields of Acting, Dance, Musical Theatre, Arts Administration, Theatre Technology, and arts research.
Grounded in the foundation of the African Diaspora experience, the Department is committed to fostering an environment that encourages research and experimentation in performance, thereby pioneering innovative forms of drama and dance that best enable artists to speak in their own distinctive cultural voice.
- The delivery of undergraduate classroom instruction including introductory level and upper-division courses in arts management, production, non-profit business, and fundraising
- Advising and mentoring arts administration students
- Participation in service to the department, college, and University
- Continued research/creative/service work in the field
- Contributing to building an inclusive learning environment for a diverse student population
Required qualifications include:
- Ph.D. or terminal Master’s degree in Arts Administration, non-profit business, or a terminal degree in a related field and experience in Arts Administration.
- Five or more years teaching experience in colleges or universities and seven or more years professional experience in non-profit organizations, theatre companies, etc.
- A willingness and desire to collaborate within the department, the College, and throughout the university, and the greater community.
- Candidates with teaching and/or professional experience in fundraising, finance, special event planning and execution are especially welcome.
Additionally, candidates with experience or the willingness to teach social justice and diversity within the arts are encouraged to apply. Howard University generally, and the Department of Theatre Arts particularly, are focused on serving the whole student and therefore, seeks candidates who are dedicated to advising students beyond their curricular needs. The Department of Theatre Arts fosters strong connections between faculty, staff, and students and seeks candidates who embody this ideal.
Required Documents for Consideration:
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three recommendation letters
Procedure for Candidacy
Cover letter and curriculum vitae must be submitted to:
Dr. Ofosuwa M. Abiola
Chair, Department of Theatre Arts
In the email subject line please state: Arts Administration Job Position
Applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled.
The position starting date is Fall semester 2021.
Established in 1867, Howard University is a federally chartered, private, doctoral/research extensive university located in Washington, D.C., and is widely recognized as one of the world’s most prestigious institutions of higher learning. This renowned urban research university offers a world-class curriculum that includes undergraduate degrees in 80 subject areas, master’s degrees in 75 majors, doctoral degrees in 31 disciplines and professional certification in 5 fields. The only comprehensive American university with a predominantly African-American constituency, Howard University is committed to preparing its students to not only be respected leaders in the national and global communities, but to also promote social justice and democracy the world over. Howard has historically educated more African-American PhD’s than any other university. It has a track record, for more than a century as the home to the single, largest concentration of Black scholars in the world.
The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, marital status, religion, or disability. Veteran status and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities, equal employment opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of the Vice President for Human Resources at (202)238-5960.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts administration, assistant professor, education, Instructor, performing arts, and theatre. States: DC.
Please Share the Assistant Professor of Arts Administration Search, Tenure Track job: