Assistant Professor, Lighting and Sound
Southern Illinois University→ Carbondale, Illinois, United States
The School of Theater and Dance at Southern Illinois University Carbondale seeks applicants for an Assistant Professor of Theater, specializing in Lighting and Sound Design. This is a tenure track faculty appointment starting August 16, 2023.
The School of Theater and Dance fosters scholarship, experience, and creativity, offering a blend of academic work, production experience and creative thinking to prepare students for a productive and successful life in Theater. The School combines the advantages of a large research University experience with the excitement of a fully-functioning theater production company. With a core faculty of working professionals and scholars, the school awards degrees at all levels of academic higher education, including BA, BFA, MFA and PhD. The school offers an MFA in Theater, with emphases in Lighting Design, Costume Design, Scenic Design, and Technical Direction, as well as Playwriting and Directing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach two to three courses per semester in the following areas: Lighting Design, Lighting Technology, Sound Design, Sound Technology, Drafting for Theater, and Topical Seminars in area of expertise.
- Recruit and mentor graduate and undergraduate student designers.
- Mentor graduate and undergraduate student technicians in production studios.
- Oversee operations in lighting and sound studios.
- Advise and supervise MFA Lighting Design students through the writing of their thesis document.
- May serve as Designer for The School of Theater and Dance productions.
- Serve on School of Theater and Dance committees as assigned.
- MFA in Theater with specialization in Lighting Design and/or Theater Technology from an accredited college or university by time of appointment.
- Demonstrated experience as a Lighting and Sound Designer at the university level and/or professional venues.
- Demonstrated expertise in teaching the use of Computer Aided Design software for Theater.
- Demonstrated experience working with students at different skill and developmental levels.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with students, public, and University community with an appreciation for cultural and group differences.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching and working collaboratively in an active undergraduate and/or graduate theater program or other comparable professional venue.
- Experience in Projection Design and Production for Theater.
- Practical or teaching experience in Stage Management.
- Experience working in professional theater.
- Experience recruiting undergraduate and/or graduate students for theater.
Evidence of successfully promoting an environment that advances justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
How to Apply
Apply here: jobs.siu.edu/view-all-jobs-faculty/job-details–fa…↗↗
The College of Arts and Media houses six schools: Architecture; Art and Design; Journalism and Advertising; Media Arts; Music; Theater and Dance. The breadth of programs offered in the college provides a rich environment for interdisciplinary collaborative research.
Southern Illinois University Carbondale is a Carnegie Doctoral Research University with an enrollment of approximately 11,000 students, and is located in the forested areas of Shawnee Hills, 100 miles southeast of St. Louis, MO. The university is known for its efforts in improving opportunity, inclusivity, sustainability and the ecological beauty of the campus and surrounding community.
Information about the School of Theater and Dance can be found at: theateranddance.siu.edu.
More information about SIU and its surrounding community can be found at: siu.edu/about-siu/.
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, Illinois, United States
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant professor, education, lighting, performing arts, sound, and teaching. States: Illinois.
Please Share the Assistant Professor, Lighting and Sound job: