Full-Time Assistant Exhibition Designer
REPORTS TO: Creative Director and Director of Exhibitions
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
The New-York Historical Society is looking for an Assistant Exhibition Designer to assist exhibition designers with upcoming exhibitions and design projects.
A Bachelor’s degree in exhibition design, industrial design, display design, or related field preferred.
• A minimum of 2 years’ experience in CAD knowledge, rough sketching ability, and model making
• Must be proficient in Vectorworks, Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator, and Mac environments
• 3D rendering skills and knowledge conservation standards and practices are a plus
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong time management and multitasking skills; can handle multiple responsibilities and projects with competing priorities and deadlines
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Organizing data, sketching, technical drawings, and making scale models for upcoming temporary exhibitions
• Drafting using Vectorworks, clipping object photos using Photoshop and in Adobe Illustrator
• Draft and detail drawings for in-house fabrication
• Create elevations for art handlers to install artwork
• Detail drawings for bid documents to send to outside fabricators
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role using a computer; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stoop as necessary.
For consideration please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Please reference the job title in the subject line.
Candidates selected for an interview will be required to show a design portfolio.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please Share the Assistant Exhibition Designer job: