Assistant Director of Grants & Development Communications
Pasadena Playhouse→ Pasadena, California, United States
- Job Title: Assistant Director of Grants & Development Communications (Salaried and Exempt)
- Department: Development
- Reports to: Chief Development Officer
About the Playhouse:
The Pasadena Playhouse is one of the top regional theaters in the country and the State Theater of California. Under the leadership of Producing Artistic Director Danny Feldman, it presents a full season of artistically innovative productions and engaging educational outreach activities to nearly 150,000 Southern California residents annually in two spaces: the 643-seat main stage theater and the 99-seat flexible Carrie Hamilton Theater. By focusing on the creation of great productions, the expansion of educational and outreach programs, the development of new plays, and the creation of innovative programs, the Playhouse will continue to be a leader in the industry.
About the Position:
The Pasadena Playhouse is looking for a storyteller and a results-oriented achiever who wants to grow the development department. The Assistant Director of Grants & Development Communications (the AD) will be responsible for all of the Playhouse’s foundation, government and corporate support (procured primarily via grant writing), and all the development collateral through which the department will tell its stories.
The AD is a leadership role within the Playhouse and will work closely with the Chief Development Officer (CDO), senior staff, Trustees and other volunteers to effectively grow the organization. There is also ample opportunity for growth in responsibility, title and compensation, based on the AD’s ability to increase contributed revenue.
This is an exempt position that often requires evening and weekend responsibilities.
- Foundation, Government and Corporate Portfolio (65%)
- Manage a current portfolio of approximately 30 foundations and $1.5M in funding, along with government entities and a focus on increasing funding.
- Write and coordinate high-quality funding proposals that sing.
- Develop a pipeline of new funders.
- Identify prospects that align with Playhouse priorities, particularly in the fields of musical development and arts education.
- Cultivate with assistance from the CDO, Producing Artistic Director, Trustees and other volunteers.
- Deftly manage donor relationships with tact and diplomacy, while at the same time moving toward asks with aggressive fundraising goals in mind.
- Manage all application and reporting cycles.
- Manage any corporate, government or foundation donor benefits including ensuring redemption and accuracy.
- Collaborate with the CDO and Assistant Director of Events on corporate partnerships, especially on proposals, pitch meetings, activations and employee engagement at Playhouse events.
- Development Communications (35%)
- With the CDO and entire development team, develop an overall communications strategy to be disseminated via special events, acknowledgement letters, email invitations, newsletters, etc.
- Develop collateral such as pitch decks, benefit materials, special gifts, etc.
- Help plan and execute donor strategy in relation to scheduled show openings, member and board events.
- Department Operations
- With the CDO and entire team, help design and implement the Playhouse’s fundraising strategies and plans.
- Help manage the Development Associate and development operations such as the acknowledgement process, database tracking, wealth screening and budgeting.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A proven track record of increasing contributed revenue. Success in sales or business development will be considered in lieu of nonprofit fundraising experience.
- 5-6 years of fundraising experience, and demonstrated success in change management or building portfolios or systems a significant plus.
- Grant solicitation and management a significant plus.
- References that speak to excellent relationship management.
- Proficiency in G-Suites and Microsoft applications.
- Kaizen and growth mindsets.
- Prefers building and improving, rather than the status quo.
- Dedicated to excellence.
- Collaborative style.
- Interest in high workload translating into high reward.
There are no major sources of discomfort and the Playhouse is a standard office environment with regular exposure to video terminal displays. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The AD is occasionally required to lift or move up to 15 pounds.
Compensation is $80,000 (Salaried and Exempt). Benefits package includes medical, dental, life insurance coverage, vision, PTO and a 403(b) plan. Start date is immediate.
How To Apply:
Please email a cover letter and resume in one PDF to DevelopmentJobs@pasadenaplayhouse.org with “AD” in the subject line.
We work to maintain a positive environment for our employees, where people can learn, grow and thrive with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative, transparent workplace where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
The Pasadena Playhouse is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Pasadena, California, United States
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant director, communication, development, fund-raising, management, non-profit, and performing arts. States: California.
Please Share the Assistant Director of Grants & Development Communications job: