Full-Time Assistant Curator
Department: Public Programs
Reports to: Director of Public Programs
Responsibilities: Exhibition development and implementation, audience development, proposal writing
ArtsWestchester is committed to supporting and promoting regional artists. As an arts center in the heart of downtown White Plains, we play a major role in raising awareness of and inspiring discussion about contemporary local and global issues through contemporary art. We develop exhibitions that showcase regional artists, increase access to works of significant artistic merit, and advance thoughtfulness about topics that resonate within the community. In addition, the gallery serves as a venue for performances, public programs, and educational workshops that further advance our mission. ArtsWestchester’s exhibition program is planned up to two years in advance, and is regularly supported by grants from the National Endowment for the Arts and the New York State Council on the Arts.
The Assistant Curator is a new staff position and will work as a member of a small and productive team on the realization of projects with artists, corporations, public agencies, and arts institutions; delivering contemporary exhibitions and commissions, including the organization of transport and insurance; helping to develop audiences for exhibitions and related programs; collaborating on educational programs and materials; and soliciting and booking groups for docent tours.
As a member of the Public Programs department, the Assistant Curator contributes ideas to the Gallery’s program, is essential to the department’s collegiate work environment and liaises with other internal departments and with the professional art world, in one of the most dynamic art environments in North America.
Additionally, the Assistant Curator will be responsible for the management of ArtsWestchester’s Gallery Nite Out, a monthly after-hours gallery event for young professionals and area residents.
ArtsWestchester seeks candidates with diverse backgrounds, experiences and artistic interests to apply. Women, minorities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
• Provide support to the Public Programs Department, from the research and development stage of a project through to its realization.
• Liaise with artists and their representatives, arts institutions and funders.
• Liaise with all ArtsWestchester departments including Communications, Development and Operations to secure a smooth flow of information.
• Monitor and maintain budgets for specific exhibitions.
• Manage and develop content for ArtsWestchester’s Gallery Nite Out.
• Collaborate on educational materials and public programming.
• Developing relationships with local organizations (civic, residential, artistic, etc)
• Soliciting and booking groups for tours of ArtsWestchester’s exhibitions.
Exhibitions organization and administration
• Arrange artwork loan fees or artist honoraria, with approval of Director of Public Programs
• Collate and copy-edit texts.
• Work with Gallery Manager & Registrar to obtain copyright permissions for use in publications and communication materials, including website.
• Write interpretative material for the website and exhibition where applicable.
• Compile exhibition guest lists in collaboration with Development and Communications.
• Deal with routine enquiries, maintain databases and process responses to exhibition proposals with other members of the Public Programs team.
• Assist with group tours and other ArtsWestchester events including speaking at events where appropriate.
• Oversee ArtsWestchester’s online Artist Directory.
• Degree in Art History, Theory or Practice, Curatorial Studies, Arts Management, Visual Arts, or related fields, or extensive equivalent experience. BA/BFA required, MA/MFA preferred.
• Familiarity with Contemporary Art and Art as Social Practice.
• Experience with the care and handling of art works, including condition reporting and packing procedures.
• Excellent organization skills and impeccable attention to detail.
• Good proven computer skills with experience of Microsoft Office.
• Ability to work as part of a team and independently, remaining calm under pressure, and to quickly find your feet in a fast-paced work environment.
• Excellent communication and accuracy in written communication
• Good negotiation skills and the ability to handle sensitive situations with diplomacy
• Experience of working with artists
• Familiarity with WordPress
• Proven grant-writing experience
• Competency with Photoshop and Adobe suite
• Conversation and written Spanish
Candidate should have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel to artist studios in the Hudson Valley and NYC metro area. Candidate should also be comfortable with the physical requirements of moving, handling, and installing artwork and large-scale exhibitions.
Standard hours are Monday-Friday, 9AM-5PM or 10AM-6PM. Must be flexible for weekend and after hours events, including openings, Gallery Nite Out (first Thursday of each month), public programs, and ArtsWestchester signature events.
Depending on experience. ArtsWestchester offers a competitive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume and cover letter to Kathleen Reckling, Director of Public Programs at kreckling@ArtsWestchester.org with “ASSISTANT CURATOR” in the subject line.
Writing samples of five (5) pages or less are strongly encouraged.
No phone calls please.Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, arts center, assistant, curator, curatorial, and gallery. States: New York.
Please Share the Assistant Curator job: