Full-Time Faculty, School of Communication Design
The School of Communication Design at Alberta University of the Arts (AUArts) invites applications for permanent faculty members in the Visual Communications Design program starting August 2021.
Assignment of academic rank will be commensurate with educational credentials, teaching and professional experience, as well as the candidate’s record of research and creative activities.
Permanent Faculty, School of Communication Design
(Competition #2021-NO-FP-14) Virtual
Job ID: Req #236
The successful candidate will:
- Teach introductory and advanced courses at the undergraduate level in the areas of graphic design, advertising, illustration, character design, photography and/or animation.
- Participate in the design and revision of curriculum to address changes in the field and emerging opportunities. Candidates with expertise contributing to the redesign of curriculum and teaching practice with the goal of improving diversity and inclusion are especially encouraged to apply.
- Pursue an active professional/applied research agenda.
- Participate departmental and university governance activities.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuing pedagogical and academic excellence.
The successful candidate will have:
- An MDes or comparable credential in a related field, or equivalent combination of experience and education
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the post-secondary level for a minimum of three (3) years
- Expertise in design for social impact, inclusive design, and/or social justice in the context of design history, theory, and practice
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: visual narrative, communication design, time-based media, or related fields
- Strong understanding of design as an evolving field
- Experience with or demonstrated interest in collaborating with fine arts and/or craft discipline
- Evidence of a substantial professional practice
How to Apply
Applications must include the following in a SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Diversity statement
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Portfolio of practice-related work, student work and/or examples of research
While not required with application, academic transcripts will be required for successful candidates as a condition of employment.
Please upload your single document to the “Resume” section – do not upload any documents to the “cover letter” section.
You will be required to create an account in order to submit your application.
Please visit our How to Apply page to ensure your application is complete prior to submission.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
About the School of Communication Design (SCD) at AUArts
The School of Communication Design offers BDes degrees in Visual Communications Design and Photography through a comprehensive four-year studio-based experience. It prepares students for careers as future leaders in creative industries.
Students in the School of Communication Design gain the skills to become successful practicing creative professionals and industry leaders locally, nationally and internationally, generating original content with an ethical, critical individual voice and an entrepreneurial intent.
AUArts is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversity of the university. We encourage expressions of interest from all qualified applicants for consideration for this or other suitable vacancies although applications from Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
The collection of personal information is for the purpose of determining eligibility and suitability for employment as authorized by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act, section 33(c).
If you have any questions about the collection of your information, please contact our FOIP Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Categories: Education. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts education, Canada, communication, design, school, teaching, and university. States: >> Canada.
Please Share the Faculty, School of Communication Design job: