Full-Time Arts Camp Assistant Counselor
May– June 2018
Camp Staff Trainings
Camp Orientation Session
July – August 2018
Monday – Friday
8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
Camp Reflection Session
The Abrons Arts Center is the arts program of Henry Street Settlement. Abrons is a world renowned arts institution that advocates for diverse artistic communities through educational programs, residencies, exhibitions and presentations. Each year Abrons welcomes over 35,000 people with over 250 performances, 12 gallery exhibitions, 20 artist residencies for performing and studio practitioners, and 100 different classes in dance, music, theater, and visual art. Abrons also provides New York City public schools with teaching artists, introducing more than 3,000 students to the arts.
Abrons Arts Center supports bold, visionary experimental artists and believes that the arts can provide a unique opportunity to build human connection, radical empathy, and understanding. Abrons values freedom of expression and creativity while striving to provide creative communities with a space that celebrates diversity of thought and experience. Abrons aims to be an anti-oppressive home to people from all backgrounds and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, citizen status, ancestry, age, religion, disability, sex or gender identity.
Abrons seek an Arts Camp Assistant Counselors to support our multidisciplinary summer arts camp. A successful candidate will have a strong interest in contemporary art, education, youth development, collaboration, and the ability to construct innovative learning experiences.
This position reports to our Education Directors of Arts Camp and works closely with the summer Artist Faculty, Education Registrar, and Education Program Assistant.
Abrons’ Education Program offers progressive, experiential learning opportunities for young makers at all levels of artistic development. We are a place to take risks, be bold, experiment, and embrace curiosity. Our participants are encouraged to construct meaningful responses and collaborate while thinking critically.
• High School diploma required
• College experience preferred; Visual or Performing Arts/Arts Education/Arts Administration
• 1-2 years experience working with children in any capacity
• Experience working with summer camp preferred
• Experience with classroom management
• Knowledge of contemporary art and arts education
• Passion for supporting artists and young audiences in a community-based institution
• Ability to think critically, creatively, and problem solve
• Commitment to high program quality and innovation
• Well organized, flexible, and social
• Vibrant personality and willingness to share artistic point of view
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a dynamic small staff
• Strong computer, written, and verbal communication skills
• Knowledge of MS Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint preferred
• Certifications: new hire is required to complete before camp begins; training will be provided by Abrons.
o American Red Cross CPR for Professional Rescuer
o American Red Cross Responding to Emergencies
• Ensure the campers’ timely arrival to classes and all other daily/weekly activities
• Develop, facilitate, and lead group activities
• Participate with students in art activities and classes
• Create and manage a safe classroom environment for students
• Attend field trips and chaperone campers
• Support curriculum design process
• Attend weekly water activities
• Assist in the maintenance of studio facilities including basic clean up, supply inventory, technology needs, and safety materials – reporting necessary information to the Education Directors for Arts Camp
• Document arts camp activities through photo and video; contributing to social media and program reporting
*Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
*Henry Street Settlement is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.
How to Apply:
Please submit updated resume to: firstname.lastname@example.orgJob Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time and Temporary. Job Tags: artist, arts, arts center, and education. States: New York.
Please Share the Arts Camp Assistant Counselor job: