Contract Artist – Teacher
Artist-Teacher: Visual Arts, Creative Writing, or Dance
Location: LA County South: San Pedro, Wilmington, Carson, Long Beach
Length of Residency: 12 weeks, as assigned
Schedule: As scheduled in alignment with school site
Start Date: Assignments will be for the 2019-2020 school year
Reports To: Director of Arts Education
Angels Gate Cultural Center provides space for artists to work and to engage community through arts education, exhibitions of contemporary art, and cultural events.
The core of AGCC’s education programming is Artists-in-Classroom (AIC), which places professional artists in schools to provide arts education to students K-12. Residencies promote creativity, cross-disciplinary knowledge, and critical thinking skills in accordance with California Visual and Performing Arts standards, and familiarize students with contemporary arts practices. Artists-in-Classrooms has been serving schools in the Los Angeles Harbor Region since 1999.
AGCC artist-teachers are equal parts professional artist and educator. Artist-teachers create and deliver highquality, engaging curriculum, share artworks from a range of cultures, introduce arts vocabulary, and demonstrate fine arts concepts. Our artist-teachers are encouraged to bring their own artistic processes and interests into the classroom. AGCC artist-teachers teachers become a trusted part of the school community, building an inclusive and creative experience for students.
• Demonstrate in-depth knowledge and expertise in a specific arts discipline
• Teaching experience required; experience teaching an art form during the school day, in a public school setting preferred. Work with low-income communities also preferred.
• Demonstrate knowledge of/familiarity with the California VAPA Standards
• Exceptional communication skills; ability to work collaboratively in a school environment with various school community members, and with AGCC staff
• B.A., M.A., or M.F.A in Art, Arts Education, or a related field desired
• Bilingual in Spanish/English desired
• Develop a sequential, standards-based curriculum in the arts
• Submit documentation of teaching practice, including lesson plans
• Teach an arts discipline across multiple grade levels
• Address the learning needs of diverse student populations
• Work with classroom teachers on cross-curriculum connections/arts integration
• Complete an artist-teacher evaluation upon completion of each residency
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Contract. Job Tags: artist, arts, dance, education, teaching, teaching artist, and Visual Art. States: California.
Please Share the Artist – Teacher job: