Full-Time Art Space and Outreach Director for Through the Flower
Position Available: The Board of Directors of Through the Flower seeks a dynamic, self-starting individual who is passionate about advancing its mission and agenda, to lead as Art Space and Outreach Director. This is a full-time permanent position to work 40 hours per week Tuesday to Saturday; or such other times as may be agreed.
The Art Space and Outreach Director will work closely with and report to the Executive Director of Through the Flower. The Art Space and Outreach Director will be responsible for all day- to- day management of the Art Space including developing programming, supervising staff/volunteers, overseeing the shop sales, educational outreach, and social media development.
Primary areas of responsibility include:
- Strategic Planning & Program Development – developing and implementing programs with responsibility for the successful day-to-day operations of a not-for-profit gallery and educational center. Planning and developing a new strategy for growth and development of the Art Space including the safe re-opening of the Art Space following closure due to Covid-19. Direct all aspects of the Art Space operations including programming, revenue generation, budgeting, marketing, fundraising, and audience growth.
- Staff Management – motivating, supervising, and training gallery staff including docents, volunteers, and sales staff and maintaining appropriate staffing levels.
- PR and Communication – creating and maintaining a favorable public image for Through the Flower including developing and implementing social media strategy.
- Shop Sales – maintaining appropriate levels of merchandise and developing and expanding online sales strategies.
- Community and Educational Outreach – building strong relationships with the global, regional, and local community through educational programming and outreach; developing a strategy to sustain and build attendance levels.
- Self-initiated management and entrepreneurial work style
- Attention to detail, strong organizational and time management skills and ability to perform non-routine work with changing priorities and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively including recruiting volunteers and training docents
- Outstanding written, oral and communication skills
- Experience interacting with the public in an engaging and personable manner
- Experience with audience-building and outreach/educational programs
- Experience planning events for and interacting with all levels of community members, from children to adults, on a level that engages the visiting audience
- Knowledge of art history and women’s history and the ability to contextualize Judy Chicago’s artworks and contributions within that context
- Social media savvy, with the ability to utilize such platforms as Instagram, et al., to build public awareness of Through the Flower activities
- Ability to utilize WordPress and Constant Contact website and email platforms on a level high enough to update those systems and use them to communicate regularly with online audiences as well as familiarity with Microsoft Office suite
- Must be available to work during the Art Space opening hours Thursday through Saturday of each week plus Tuesday and Wednesday as well as additional hours as may be required for planned fund-raising and programming events
Compensation and Benefits: $31,000 – $35,000 salary to start, including five days paid vacation plus public holidays and up to five paid sick days per year. Contribution to health insurance (up to 50% of personal health insurance plan). Salary and benefits to be adjusted annually based on performance metrics being met as outlined in a detailed job description.
Procedure for Applying:
Qualified candidates should e-mail a current detailed resume, together with a cover letter indicating interest in the position and summary of skills and accomplishments to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 12th, 2020; please note in the subject line “Art Space Director”
For more information about Through the Flower, visit https://throughtheflower.org
Through the Flower is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Through the Flower is a 501(c)3 non- profit organization founded in 1977 to manage the overwhelming public support of Judy Chicago’s work The Dinner Party (1974-1979). Our mission is to highlight women’s achievements and create a cultural legacy built upon the vision embodied in the work of Judy Chicago through education, exhibition, and preservation. In 2019 Through the Flower opened the Through the Flower Art Space at its headquarters in Belen, NM. Here, visitors can view exhibitions of Judy Chicago’s work and collaborations with her photographer husband, Donald Woodman. The Art Space houses an exhibition area, research center housing over 350 books and journals along with historic films as well as a full shop and sales area. In addition to changing exhibitions we also regularly provide public programs such as lectures and workshops.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, arts administration, director, and non-profit. States: New Mexico.
Please Share the Art Space and Outreach Director for Through the Flower job: